Boot Camp: Full version or upgrade version of Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SolidGun, Jun 16, 2010.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

In order to install Windows 7 via bootcamp, do you have to use the full version of windows or can you use the upgrade disc to install?

I figured I should ask before buying another license as I have an upgrade version of Windows 7 Pro that I don't use.

I do own previous versions of Windows (all of them....just like I do Mac OS).

Thank you in advance.

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I bought the Windows 7 Pro upgrade Student edition in January and I found out unless you have another version of Windows installed, you can't do a clean install.

One bypass if you don't have another copy of Windows handy is clean install using your upgrade disc, don't enter a key on initial setup. When you get into Windows, install Windows 7 again but this time select upgrade and then you can put in your upgrade key.

Second option, easier in your case, install bootcamp using one of your previous windows versions, and then use the Windows 7 Upgrade disc to do a Custom install (Clean) from desktop and it should take you through the DOS-based setup.

3. i5pro macrumors regular

Technically, you need the full version. But there are many methods of just using the "upgrade" disk to do a full install. One method is to install the upgrade, and then reinstall it over the upgrade.