Boot Camp Game GFX High = Slow

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by W4133D, Sep 21, 2008.

1. W4133D macrumors member

W4133D

Why is a game slow on boot camp when I put the gfx on high-medium, I mean isnt Mac built for speed and stuff ?
    My MacBook specs are in my sig if you need them, can anyone help me ?

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The MacBook has an integrated graphics chip which is not designed for intensive 3G graphic processing such as gaming or rendering.

3. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should have looked into the video card in the Macbook and the system requirements of the game before purchasing.

5. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

Ok, I feel like I got ripped off.
    This is depressing, seriously what would've Apple lost if they added a better video card.
    They would've gained more than they lost !!
    :mad:
    Apple is such a rip off.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple would want you to buy the Macbook Pro for a GPU. I don't have that kind of money so I just don't play any games on my Macbook.

7. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

What game are you trying to play? It may be playable yet.

8. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

Im playing the beta of Red Alert 3 and using Windows XP on my Mac to play it but when I put gfx on Medium or High the game becomes very slow and it starts lagging, its only the beta, I mailed EA about this and asked them if they can make a Mac version no response yet.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

RA3 should be playable on Low settings just fine.

10. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

It works ok on Low graphics, but have you seen the Low graphics ?
    It feels like your playing in the year 2003.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds about right for the capabilities of the GMA X3100.

12. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

What I dont get is that in OS X the gfx look cool the Dock, everything, and its so fast too, why do the game capabilities suck ?!?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep in mind that most of those "cool" features are available on a GeForce 2 MX. Failing that you can pull off Core Image on a circa 2003 Radeon 9600.

14. t19880821 macrumors regular

You should have done research before you made your purchase. Buying a computer is a big purchase (at least I think it is). You should have determined what you needed the laptop for. Is it for school, work, gaming, or a little bit of everything?

Your laptop you could use for school.

That being said, if you bought a Macbook STRICTLY for gaming, you are out of your mind. EA has a $699 PC that can play Crysis on max settings. Hell, for the money you spent on the MacBook you could have used it to build a really good gaming PC. Or if you wanted the reliability that comes with Apple machines AND you wanted gaming, why didn't you go for a MacBook Pro?

And don't say you were ripped off. I'm sorry, but I can't stand ignorance. You can't go to walmart, buy clothes, go to a party, have everyone laugh at you, then say you were "ripped off." Or you can't buy a DVD player and find out you can't play BluRay movies and complain that you were "Ripped off."

Another thing, if they made a Mac version it won't run better. It won't change the fact that you still have an integrated GPU.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh man, this thread :D

First of all them dock effects are 2D. The Intel GPU is pretty weak an requires the player to turn the graphics down to DX7-8 levels to get modern games running smoothly.
    Why on earth did you buy a MacBook? Did you not research it?

16. t19880821 macrumors regular

He either..

1. Bought the MacBook for some other purpose besides gaming, and tried gaming on it and found out it's not that great.

2. Wanted a laptop for gaming, assumed right off the bat that Apple machines were fast (they are, but..), but doesn't know much about computer gaming and the specs required, and made a haste purchase with the knowledge (or lack thereof) of what the laptop he's buying can and cannot do.

17. W4133D thread starter macrumors member

W4133D

I did ALOOOOT of research and all the sites I went to about Macs advantages and disadvantages never mentioned a thing about gaming, which they should.
    I should of just gotten some other PC.

18. calintz macrumors member

they don't mention anything about gaming because a black macbook isn't made for gaming...

your "research" should have been on the apple website and looking at the graphics chips in the laptops

t19880821 is right, if u wanted to game, u should have gotten a PC, or at least a windows laptop on a budget

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well you kind of didn't, I was looking up MacBooks recently and found out about the capabilities of the GMA X3100, even just reading the topics here about how to get certain games running (mostly Source games by lowering the DirectX quality mode).
    What research did you do?

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

"Aloooot" of research you say?

mmmmm...

three second google search later = result
    ignorance = priceless

For everything else there's mastercard

Bless.....

21. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just googled "gaming on a macbook" and tons of links came up. A short read here and there will tell you what kind of games a macbook can and cannot play.

22. Cander macrumors 6502

A PC with the same specs would run it just as bad.

This thread is fail.

23. t19880821 macrumors regular

even if he just looked at the mac store, that's half the battle. all he had to do was look at the specs. unless he thought the x3100 was a good card. :confused:

24. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

somewhat obvious troll is somewhat obvious

unless people are really this clueless...i guess it wouldn't be surprising

25. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing