Boot Camp Genius Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thumper, Jan 2, 2008.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

I made a 20 gig partition in Fat format...
    i ran out of space pretty fast and was wondering
    if i can do the following...

boot into OS X select my Big game folders from my Windows partition
    take them out and onto my OSX partition, Delete them on my windows to free up space...

then, when i want to play those games again, just drag them back into the
    windows partition.

Will this mess up my game folder in windows ???

Thanks for taking your time to help :eek:

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

It probably won't harm anything but it's pretty time consuming and there's always a possibility of corrupting something when moving very large files around often. You probably should have made a larger partition for windows. My advice is to be careful. :rolleyes:

3. thesdx macrumors 6502a

If you have Leopard, you could resize the Windows partition on-the-fly.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Can't resize a BC partition. Sorry...

5. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

OMG can you?! -Did not know this-!

6. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

oh dear, this is really confusing...
    can you or can't you? :confused: :confused:

and draging folders back and forth between partitions generally is ok???

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Partitions created by Boot Camp cannot be resized by Disk Utility in Leopard on-the-fly, period.

Dragging folders back & forth is simply copying between partitions, which is the same as copying between two drives. Filetype and read/write capabilities are the only limiting factors there.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

When I upgraded to a larger drive I used Winclone to clone the Bootcamp partition and created a bigger Windows partition on the new drive, I then used Winclone to put the data back onto the new partition. Worked great, no reinstall.

Cheers,

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ooh, I like the looks of that! Is it as effective and reliable as, say, SuperDuper or CCC? My concern is moving the BC partition off so I can kill the partition to do the EFI update and restoring it afterwards without reinstalling ANYTHING, nor having to reactivate. Please tell me it works!

10. GregE macrumors 6502

What if you use Fusion or Parallels? Are those in a partition and if yes, can you resize it?

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If Windows is installed purely within a VM, then (I believe) since that's all contained within the Mac's filesystem as part of the VM's bottle, then resizing should be no problem. Then again, they wouldn't need to occupy their own partition, anyway, in that case.

12. GregE macrumors 6502

Got ya. I bought Fusion since it had a rebate but haven't installed it yet so I didn't know if it went in it's own partition or not. Sounds like it doesn't so I won't need to worry about ever needing to resize it.

Thanks

13. waremaster macrumors 6502

Another solution is to install Mediafour's MacDrive in windows then you will be able to read and write to the mac partition as if it was a normal HD then uninstall the games and reinstall them to the mac drive so all registry entries will be correct.

14. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

wait, this is unbelievable...:eek:

so my Macintosh HD will show up in windows and ill be able to install my games to that Mac partition and run my games off that?!?!

if this works, it will be extremely incredible ! :eek:

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is very reliable. I used it to migrate from my old Macbook to the SR MBP and then again to migrate from the original 120GB Hard disk to the new 200GB Hitachi 7200. Worked like a charm each time. My entire mobile gaming system is on that drive and it moved with Winclone with no issues. Winclone and SuperDuper are the only backups I need. I keep 2TB of external disks to manage all the backup versions.

Not so fast here. I tried MacDirve and had all sorts of problems in Windows. From System hangs to hard boots, it just wasn't reliable for me. Perhaps it worked better for him.

CHeers,

16. waremaster macrumors 6502

Actually using Windows XP with MacDrive 6.1.5 I had zero issues I have since upgraded to 7.0.10 and also have had no issues. For me it works flawlessly. I also use my mac formatted ipods in windows as itunes is now able to read the mac drive. My machine is a Mac Pro with all 4 bays filled with drives 2 are mac os drives and 2 are windows ntfs drives. You can grab the trial from the site and give it a shot without spending any money and if it works for you then buy it.