Boot Camp - going the way of Firewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mustgroove, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Just a quick thought - does it strike anyone that Apple might be abandoning Boot Camp just as much as they're abandoning Firewire? There hasn't been an update to the Boot Camp drivers as yet, so the new trackpad (not to mention the GPU) is going unsupported as far as I can tell.

Will Boot Camp be dropped by the time Snow Leopard rolls around? I hope not - I've got a mid-2007 MBP and whilst OS X is great and I've become somewhat of a convert, I still need native Windows support, so when the time eventually comes to upgrade I'll be needing Boot Camp for sure.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Windows itself is going the way of PS/2.

An idiotically slow, agonizing death. It's something that you still see on computers today and it makes you think, "Why do they still have that on there?"

Another thing, why the frick do PCs still have PS/2 ports on them?! This is 2008. Eleven years after Apple told the world, "You're all idiots, here's USB." What's up with these legacy ports?

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

...thats an absurd argument, its the motherboard makers who make that call, rather than the OEMs like Dell/Sony/etc.

If you think Windows is dead, tell that to all the developers who continue to make PC games.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Hope not - I use it a lot for gaming.

Unless EA and others actually created Mac games, not just Cider Ports, then I wouldn't have to. But no one making games for Mac takes it seriously.

It is still a selling point of Macs though - need to do something in Windows? No problem. You just have to shell out couple hundred bucks on a license for Windows.

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Until a few days ago i used ps2 ports on my pc. I have a ton of ps2 mice/keyboards laying around and didnt really find the need to spend the extra cash to go usb when i have the option of using my old keyboard which still functions 100% perfectly.
    Someone gave me a ton of old computer stuff a while ago and i found a usb keyboard and a few usb mice in it. I use those now because the usb mouse is optical (my old one still used a ball, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but that mouse was slowly dying anyway) and i use the usb kb because having both usb and ps2 stuff at the same time just feels weird.

PC mobo manufacturers are nice enough to give me options and i thank them for that.

And i might add that windows will not die for a long time. Alot of people just want a cheap laptop to go online and dont want to spend an outrageous amount on a macbook. Gamin will also never be taken seriously on macs because the only mac not built with laptop hardware is the mac pro and few people (that i know anyway) are willing to drop a ton of money on a tower like that.

I have a theory that apple doesnt want the new, cool stuff to work on windows in an effort to make windows look worse. iTunes on windows is a complete memory hog (compared to other music library apps with more features) and i wouldnt be one bit surprised if apple didnt try to make it run more efficiently because they dont mind if it makes windows run slower.

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Boot Camp is safe and sound in Snow Leopard.;)