Boot camp heat!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Sep 3, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hello, i have a 15 inch 2010 macbook pro, i5 2.4 Ghz base model.

Thing is i partioned 50 GB of my hard drive with boot camp and installed windows xp for some gaming, i have installed my favorite game of all times: fifa 99, worked perfectly.

Another good game, call of duty modern warfare 2: worked perfectly with great graphics, i was impressed

then i installed GTA 4, it had to start in 800x600 sucky resolution, and it can't be changed cause it can't handle it. It's ok i can handle those bad graphics, however, it was only 30 seconds of me playing the game and Notebook Hardware Control software i installed just in case showed up a pop up window in the middle of the game. It said my CPU exceeded 95 degrees and it was going to shut down in 30 seconds. Also i was pushing the "w" key to drive a car, my finger burnt :D top left corner of the keyboard was extremely hot. It's generally hot anyways but this was extreme. I ctrl+alt+del'ed and quit GTA 4, got rid of the shut down.

Why did that happen? I mean, it's just GTA IV. Would it harm my computer? Cause i am loving everything about it, even boot camp :D it's just this heat issue and tap to click doesn't work.

thanks in advance for the answers

2. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

anyone?

additional details: when on snow leopard browsing it is 40-45 degrees.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Windows sucks for managing fans, lookup macfan, it allows you to preset some fan speed as minimum in windows.

Or you could boot into os X, set the base speed to 4500rpm or so using smcfancontrol and reboot into windows, the fans will stay at that speed.