Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odonnellb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
this is my first thread and i would appreciate any of you who help considering im new to the forum. I just recently got a macbook pro, its my second apple i have an imac also. I have a business course in which i need to install a program on windows. I downloaded bootcamp, bought xp pro with sp2, went through the whole thing made a second hard drive or whatever for the windows it was like 12 gigs or something. Windows begins to install, and it says cant find some file, which i didnt write down, but then the install ended, i turned off the computer, and now everytime i start it up it has some black windows screen that says missing the file. So now for me to get osx to run i have to hold the option key and choose it every time. Can someone either give me a solution or help me erase all the windows crap so i can just have it back to normal? Thanks a lot
i appreciate it, brendan

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Try launching the Boot Camp Assistant again from OSX and select the option to remove the Windows partition and try again.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
When you boot into OSX, go to System Prefs-> Startup Disk. Select your OSX volume as your startup disk. This will make it so you don't have to hold option to get into OSX.

Then I would use BootCamp Assistant to delete the XP partition and start over. Seems like you just got a corrupted file or something.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forums! :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Also if you write down the error message and the name of the missing file, we might be able to help you figure out what's wrong in case it happens again.

Good luck.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.