Boot Camp help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TSX, Jan 20, 2011.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

On my MBP i was trying to install vista, i partitioned the drive to 5gb then i formatted the partition to ntfs, then it said the 5gb i had wasn't big enough. So i decide just to start over so i went to disk utility and decided to erase that 5gb partition i did for windows. (I should have used boot camp, but i didn't realize that until it was too late.) Now when i try to reinstall vista i get a "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." and im stuck right there, anyone know how i can put vista back on and how do i remove that partition from my HD? Thanks

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

rather than using the disk utility, use the boot camp assistant to revert the partition back to a single Mac OS drive.

3. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I cant, when i open up boot camp and click continue it goes straight to this "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved"

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In Disk Utility -> Partition. Delete the Boot Camp partition and drag the lower right corner of the OS X partition down to enlarge it again.

To clear the "files cannot be moved" you either need to backup/delete/restore (as advised) or try making the Boot Camp partition from Disk Utility while booted from your OS X install disc (if a file can't be moved because it is in use).

EDIT: http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/leopard_disk_utility_can_resize_partitions.html

B