Boot Camp Help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thebadgator87, Mar 16, 2013.

1. thebadgator87 macrumors member

I have the Windows 7 ISO file on a USB drive plugged in but when i click install it doesnt find anything. What am i doing wrong?

2. simsaladimbamba

ISO files are not bootable, they are just files, storing the actual image of the installer, thus you have to extract the ISO file properly onto the USB flash memory thumb drive. Look via MRoogle or your preferred www search engine or Advanced Search for "usb install windows on mac" or something similar, if you have not already.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What do you actually mean by install, install windows on the bootcamp partition or use Bootcamp Assistant to make a USB installer?

You need an empty USB stick to put the ISO on, the ISO needs to be on the computer, then when asked point it to the path on the computer, it will then restore the ISO to the USB stick.
    When done your HD should be ready to go, BootCamp Assistant should have partitioned the HD for you and made a USB stick.
    After this you need to restart and install windows on BootCamp.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Everything, that's not how bootcamp works.

1) Do you have a legit copy of Windows?
    2) Do you have a windows install cd or just an ISO?
    3) Have you ever used a mac before?

From my guess you probably just pirated a windows ISO off the web and want to install it. You can do that but not with bootcamp.

If you have a disk follow something like this:
    http://derekhat.com/install-vista-on-a-macbook-without-bootcamp/

If you only have a usb follow something like this:
    http://youtu.be/vmA-9apQ6kg

If you have neither a usb or a disk follow something like this:
    http://blog.laaz.org/tech/2012/04/24/installing-windows-7-on-macbook-pro-without-superdrive/

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That is not true, if he/she downloaded an illegal copy it will still work, but don't assume it is, he/she did not say so so don't assume it is.

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Why would they rip an ISO and try to put it on a USB when boot camp clearly asks for you to use the windows install CD? Since Microsoft doesn't sell a Windows Install USB drive and the fact that the OP doesn't even seem to know what an ISO is, leads me to believe that they probably didn't rip it off a install DVD. This basically leaves only one other option of aquiring said ISO which is an internet download which are almost always shared as an ISO rather than unpacked.

When I said "You can do that but not with bootcamp." I guess I meant that he couldn't use the USB with bootcamp, I suppose he could burn the ISO to a blank dvd and use that but there's not really much point as there are ways to do the same thing without wasting a disk or using bootcamp assistant.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

FYI, you can use a USB stick to install windows from, no need of a DVD, also, you can download the ISO from Microsoft directly.
    So, again, you assume too much, he/she could download it legally.

8. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Oh yeah forgot that if you have a new mac that I believe doesn't come stock with a superdrive then bootcamp will allow you to make a bootable usb.

Look I wasn't trying to call the OP out or argue with anyone, hell I even gave 3 links of options to install depending on what the OPs situation is. I suppose OP could have got a legit windows ISO from microsoft if they had another windows PC and used Upgrade Assistant and choose the option to Install by creating media.

The whole point I was trying to make is that bootcamp should just work if you're using a legit copy of windows on a system that supports installation from whatever form you have (iso or cd).

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No worries, I was just saying there are legit ways to get an ISO.

Cheers

10. thebadgator87 thread starter macrumors member

i just burned the iso to a dvd and that did the trick thanks