Boot Camp Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by well2thebone, Jan 28, 2010.

1. well2thebone macrumors newbie

I am trying to install xp with service pack 2 using boot camp and I can't get it to install. I have a new 13' macbook pro with 10.6. I follow the instruction, set up the partition, load the xp disk w/ sp2 (oem version which i have heard should work), and then when my computer reboots i get to the screen where it ask what partition I want. I choose c: bootcamp fat 32 or whatever. However, after that, I never get asked if i want nfts or fat format and it just starts installing, but i never get asked to enter the cd code, and after about 5-10 minutes, it acts like it is done and restarts my computer, but i can't get it to work. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

"Clean" OEM discs should work, but customized ones generally will not. What is the source of your installer? Is it customized for a Dell/HP/Gateway/.... or a clean generic OEM disc.

I'll spare you my licensing speech w.r.t. OEM since you already have it.

B

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Where did you get your OEM from? If it is specifically tied to another machine i.e Toshiba or HP then it wont work with Bootcamp (as I understand)

However, if you buy an OEM copy of windows that was not designed to be installed in any particular brand of computer, then you have a 'full' version of windows that simply does not have the fancy packaging.

4. well2thebone thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if it is clean or not. I used is successfully on parallels 4. It has a sticker on the packaging that says "this oem software may not be delivered unless accompanied by the required hardware under Microsoft oem system builder license..."