Boot Camp Horror: Win7 Pro does not install on Boot Camp partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Manuelrodrigues, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Manuelrodrigues, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

Manuelrodrigues macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Hi there,

Trying to instal win7 on my Haswell rMBP. Been working on this (on and off) the last 36 hours. grrr.

All is well until i get to the windows screen in which i need to select the bootcamp partition to install win7 on. When i point win7 setup to the bootcamp partition it says that it can not be installed to a non ntfs partition so i format the partition just like it is suggested in like this help doc:

https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/#apd5a4fe62a-dda5-4a8f-aca4-371bc726d861

The Format seems to work ok. If I then try to continue the installation proces by clicking next I get the following message:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate a existing system partition. See the setup log for more information"

Im stuck!

I've downloaded 3 different iso files of win7 to make the bootable USB stick. Ive tried to run the installation proces of my dvd player but that does not work either. I've deleted the partition in the win7 setup window and made a new one with no result.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Manuel

2. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

SOLVED!

Searching some more on this forum and 1 hour of support of apple helped me to solve it.

in the end I saved al the window support files on my usb stick and used my win7 dvd disk to install. Before i used one usb stick for official downloaded win7 iso AND the apple win7 support files.
    I Switched the dvd player and usb stick to different usb ports as i learned the problem must have some thing to do with the order in which the win7 installer sees the disks...

Cost me a lot of time but i managed to fix it! :)

3. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Just had to do the whole shabang again and noticed that I forgot to mention that at first I used the USB stick as a bootable install device but at the last attempt I had formatted the USB stick and only saved the windows support files on the stick. This might have made a difference also.

4. bugaboo12 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this post. Reading your advice I got mine to work too. Booting from an external dvd drive instead of the USB stick fixed all.:)

5. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Nice one!

6. Paky macrumors newbie

After several days of frustration loading Windows 8 on a mbp with Bootcamp 5.1 I went back and read all the Apple related articles and found my problem. I had a backup drive connected to the Thunderbolt port and that is a no no. Disconnected the Thunderbolt drive and it loaded with no problems. From the FAQ's:

The message “We couldn't create a new partition or locate and existing one” appears when installing Windows 8.
    If you have a Thunderbolt storage device connected to your computer, disconnect it and leave it disconnected until Windows installation is complete.

Paky