Boot Camp install gone wrong; 32GB of disc space missing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spanish Paella, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Spanish Paella macrumors newbie

Boot camp went wrong because I had to reboot my macbook while windows 7 was being installed. After that, I deleted the 32gb windows partition. But guess what? Disk utility says that my free space is 468 gb, when before boot camp I had 493gb. Can anybody help me? Please? :(

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

It sounds like you did not use the Bootcamp Assistant to remove the Bootcamp partition. if this is the case, you may need to reformat the hard disk and start over (in this case use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to move a copy of your OSX off to an external drive before the reformat).

neil

3. Spanish Paella thread starter macrumors newbie

I did use the bootcamp assistant in order to remove the windows partition

4. Spanish Paella thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anything i can do to recover this free space?

5. flaffl macrumors newbie

Sorry that I'm bumping, (but I guess it's better than posting a new thread) but I wanted to know if there was any other solution to this problem besides reformatting?

6. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Not really... when you use the BootCamp Assistant, you physically partition the drive, and split it in two. If that messes up during the partitioning process or removal of the partition, I'm not aware of any other way to fix it other than a complete repartition of the whole drive.

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020