Boot camp: Is it possible to install Windows 7 on El Capitan

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dweez, May 14, 2017.

1. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I *really* dislike windows 8 & windows 10. Is there a workaround for installing windows 7 on El Capitan? The machine is a mid 2015 RMBP.

Attached Files:

2. nollimac, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

Yes, to the question in bolt type...Parallels, VirtualBox, VMware...but before you do, it's best to maxed out your RAM. Then, you could have Windows 7, 8, and 10 virtual machines. BTW, I have both Parallels and VirtualBox with Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows XP, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Solaris, CentOS, SUSE, FreeBSD, and pfSense all on a 2008 Macbook Pro 17" all running great except memory hungry Windows 10 which runs slow on 6GB RAM laptop.

3. Dweez thread starter macrumors 65816

Dweez

Thanks for the input, nollimac. I've been using Fusion on the box for quite some time, but I'm on a mission to natively boot win7. If it's not possible, so be it. I'd not used boot camp for a year or so, and was bummed to see that win8 was the minimum requirement.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's not a limitation of El Capitan, exactly. Apple's list of what version of Windows can be installed in Boot Camp seems to be mostly hardware-based. See this Apple Support article and the others linked on the page.

I don't know of a workaround but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

5. StuBFrost macrumors member

I run windows 7 on a Mac mini that has sierra on it so you should be able to do it with El Capitan. I found a couple of websites that show how to do it.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

Like member BrianBaughn stated about the limitation of El Capitan, the same goes for Sierra. The limitation has to do with the hardware. A Mid 2015 rMBP can only run Win 8 or 10 without a work around.

7. StuBFrost macrumors member

Ah, sorry missed the part about the hardware.