boot camp + ISO image?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OrangeCuse44, May 3, 2008.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I'm looking to install a Windows partition on my MB to revisit my Counter-Strike days. Does Boot Camp require a physical disk or can I use an ISO image for the install? Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to reboot the computer to install Windows so you need a real, fully licensed (not downloaded) Windows CD.

3. Patrick425 macrumors member

I know that you can use an iso image with parallels, but I guess not with bootcamp.

4. primape08 macrumors newbie

Actually, I've downloaded a Windows XP iso and burned it to CD, then installed XP in Boot Camp and the whole process completed with no problems. You don't need a real, fully licensed Windows CD. One could even use a crack to validate XP instead of buying a license. But that's not what you want to do. Do it the legal way and buy a copy of XP.

5. orthorim macrumors 6502

I want to do this too.

I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO though MSDN, it's a Microsoft developer license. So yeah this is 100% legit. I removed the CD drive from my MacBook Pro so burning isn't an option. I will try an external one but not sure that'll work...

6. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

if you have a dvd disk laying around, just burn the iso to a disk using disk utility. I used that for putting windows on boot camp. They're not too expensive. I used to have this exact same question, until i learned it's a lot easier just to burn it to a disk and do that.