Boot Camp Issue: No Wireless Connection on XP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LuhReeUh, Mar 30, 2008.

1. LuhReeUh macrumors newbie

LuhReeUh

Ok, so I just bought the new Blackbook, and I decided to install XP so that I can use Office and play my Launchcast radio. Now, the install went fine (using Boot Camp), but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly on the XP side. Of course everything's great on the Mac side.

Let me also preface this by saying I am a novice at best when it comes to Mac. This is my first Apple product.

So, I am able to connect to the net with a direct ethernet connection, but my wireless connection setup says that it is "acquiring network address". I've already tried uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it. In addition, I also noticed that my IP address wasn't showing up, so I manually put it in. After that, I was sure that everything would work, but although it now shows "connected", I still cannot connect to the internet. I noticed that the speed shown is only 54mbps, but when I connect with the ethernet cord, it's 100mbps. I have no idea what to do next. I've scoured the internet and the forums, but I haven't found anything that has worked.

Does anyone have advice??

Thanks.

2. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

54mbps is wireless G, so thats normal, I know when I bootcamped xp, I just selected my wireless network off the list and put my password in when prompted and that was it. Whn you set your IP manually did you set the rest of the options corectly, like the gateway and dns?

3. LuhReeUh thread starter macrumors newbie

LuhReeUh

Thanks...

Good to know about the Wirless G. Yeah, I wrote down all the information, and double checked it after I input the IP address, DNS server, etc.

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502

That's definitely strange. I'd take it over to a couple different wifi spots, preferably ones that don't have an encryption to connect. That'd at least narrow it down to your wireless network settings (just tossing around different ideas). You did put in your password for the wireless network password right (I'm assuming you did since you pretty much did every normal thing a person would try)?

If you absolutely can't get it to work, try taking it up to an Apple store and see if they can't do anything with it, that is, if you're close.

I know I've had issues getting my MacBook to recognize my ethernet connection while running BootCamp, but the wireless works fine. Usually I'm doing something out side of the house on campus that requires XP, so it's never really bothered me. But I'll have to fool around with it.

5. LuhReeUh thread starter macrumors newbie

LuhReeUh

Yeah, I put in the password. That doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll take your advice and go to the library and see what happens there. If that doesn't help, I'm only 15 minutes away from an Apple store. I might as well get my money's worth from AppleCare.

6. ralex macrumors newbie

how do you like your new Blk MacBook? I am getting one in June after the next update. I am hoping for LED screen, and other upgrades like WiMax capability.

7. LuhReeUh thread starter macrumors newbie

LuhReeUh

It's wonderful!! I've been scouring the forums for over two months trying to decide which Mac to buy. I think I made the right decision. People have said that the Black is more susceptible to smudges, but I haven't had that problem. The only thing is I wish it had is an LED screen, but I really needed to buy a laptop for school, so I couldn't wait for June. Who knows if the updated version will have LCD.