Boot Camp issue (RAM: 2 GB usable?!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solideliquid, Jul 19, 2012.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I have Win 7 installed on my rMBP (base model) and when I open system properties (right click on "My Computer") it list 8 GB RAM (2 GB usable).

What does that mean?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. solideliquid thread starter macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Hmm I'll have to check on that when I get home. If it IS the x86 version what can I expect?

4. Drask macrumors regular

Means that its a 32-bit version, which can only use 4 GB of ram (minus 1 gb that the S.O will use) you're left with 3gb of ram usable, even if you have 16.

Short story long, get the 64-bit version.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If he was having an issue due to the limitation of 32 bit windows, he'd be seeing 3-3.5GB of memory.

I've run into a similar problem before. I came across this after a quick search:

Press Windows Key(if you've got the boot camp drivers installed, the command key will work here) + R and type msconfig into the run command box.
    On the "Boot" tab, click on advanced options.
    Make sure the box labelled "Maximum Memory" is NOT ticked. If it is, untick, save and restart.

6. Slivortal macrumors 6502

If it is the 32-bit version, it could have a 2/2 or 1/3 split with the OS, right? So in theory, it could be the former?

7. m4tic macrumors member

If you have a 32-bit OS installed, available ram depends on the devices installed and how much address space is used under 4GB.

8. solideliquid thread starter macrumors 6502

solideliquid

So yes it is a 32 bit install, I didn't notice that's what it said on the DVD. So now what?

If I get the 64 bit Win7 DVD, do I need to do a format or can I simply install a fresh 64 bit copy on top of the 32 bit version?

2nd question: Does having the 32 bit version limit me in terms of gaming performance in any way?

Thanks!

9. Drask macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you cant overwrite, but even if you could, I wouldn't recommend it, just format and do a fresh install, you'll save time.

About gaming: Yes and No. Latests and greatest games these days don't require more than 2 GB of ram. So no it doesn't affect gaming if thats all you do, but what happens when you open, lets say, Firefox, battlefield 3, itunes (or any music player), maybe steam?

They all use ram resources, so it will get laggy if you pass that 3GBram.

My advice: format and get a 64bit version.

----------

Sorry, i didn't get your question at all, split what? Under windows 7 32 bit you can only use 4 GB of ram, but about 900MB to 1GB is for the OS, so all you end up is with approx 3. Nothing to split.

Sorry if I got it wrong.