Boot Camp Issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DrewGzy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. DrewGzy macrumors newbie

This is kind of annoying me and I thought I'd ask here about it.

I just picked up a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz, 8GB RAM) to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz, 16GB RAM).

Long story short; I could not get Boot Camp to create the USB drive on the 2015 MBP. I used the same Windows10.ISO and the same USB drive on my 2013 and did not have any issues.

I'm annoyed that my 2013 can do more than my 2015 and it is making me question replacing it!

Am I missing something here? Did I do something wrong? I can give more details on anything if need be and just wanted some thoughts on it.

Thanks!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I have no idea what the problem may be, but there's no limitation with the 2015 vs. 2013 in terms of making bootable Windows USBs. Going from 16 gigs of RAM down to 8 might be regrettable in future however since there's no upgrade path and between the other differences of the two systems the RAM could potentially be quite important otherwise being no extremely major differences for most workloads. Anyway - that's off topic.

What steps do you take to create the USB, and the new computer - did you migrate data over to it from the other Mac or is it a fresh one?

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I have had this oddity myself could install on older MAC's yet our rMB refused at the time

All I can suggest it must be the latest full ISO from MS not a trial or anything else

My best guess to the cause is something to do how Apple partition and format the SSD or if you have any bad sectors etc seems to trip the installation

4. DrewGzy thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I did different is that I ran the MS .ISO off a USB drive on the 15" MBP. When I was trying to do it on the 13" I had the .ISO on the desktop. If I get a chance I will rerun the setup on the 2015 MBP and run the .ISO from a USB drive and see if that was in fact the issue (also, I had read that the .ISO needs to be unmounted before running Boot Camp and I had tried it both ways on the 2015).

Casperes1996; I appreciate the off topic advice and you are 100% correct - I am basically just "test-driving" this 2015 to make sure that I can live with a 13" MBP before buying / building what I actually want computer wise.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes follow the instructions off the desktop or a file location on the ssd