Boot Camp Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dariusjd, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dariusjd macrumors newbie

When I run the Boot Camp Assistant, after the partitioning, my computer freezes and a little windows saying "You Need To restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button" pops up. Since my computer is completely frozen, I cannot hit the restart button from the Apple menu and I am forced to reboot via the Power button.

This happens everytime I try to install Boot Camp. I keep my Airport off when attempting to install, so i don't think thats the problem..

When I reboot I get a Problem Report.

I'm guessing:
    panic(cpu 1 caller 0x0031E21F): "hfs_lock: locking against myself!"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.4.31/bsd/hfs/hfs_cnode.c:986
    Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

is the problem?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yup. That's it. Apparently, it's trying to lock a node in the file system that's already locked. This is NEVER a good thing.

I'd strongly suggest booting from the Leopard DVD and verifying your disk (not the permissions). If it finds errors, click Repair Disk until it fixes them or tells you that "the underlying process failed on exit".

3. dariusjd thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the disk check and it found nothing. What do I do?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Strange. I'd suggest wiping the drive clean (after backing up first) and reinstalling, but that seems a bit drastic, since the disk check found nothing.

I'd check your Console logs for any relevant info prior to the Kernel Panic, and see if that points you anywhere. For example, if there's a ton of entries that mention error -36, your disk is probably dying.

5. dariusjd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I didn't see anything. I was thinking about wiping it clean anyways.
    Thanks, though. ^^