Boot Camp Issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JordanWootton, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JordanWootton macrumors newbie

Ok i just put boot camp on my Mac about 2 weeks ago. I put Windows Xp Prof on and have been only useing that... about 4 days ago i started useing Mac then just the other day i went to go on to mac and it was at the Apple loading screen then it shut down and it does this every time i try to go on to mac... it has done this with Windows also and i just reboot camp it but this time i dont know what to do.... can any one help? :(

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Reboot with your install disk by holding the option/alt key at startup and go into disk utility and "repair disk permissions" on the osx disk. Then try to reboot into osx and see what happens. I hope you have made a time machine backup or backup of some sort of your osx disk. Just in case there is a problem with the hardware. It is never a good idea to not have some sort of backup. The most useful one to use on a mac is a time machine backup.

EDIT: While you are booted into the install disk i would also verify your osx disk and repair it if it throws up errors. If nothing allows it to boot, then take it into an apple store and see what they can do for you. If you don't have a backup, your main concern is keeping your data intact so don't mess around with it too much.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I know you don't want to hear this, but I was told (I don't know how valid it is) that bootcamp can sometimes mess up your hard drive causing it to not boot, loose data, etc. I was told to try parallels instead, but I know that doesn't help you now. I would try taking it to a mac genius if the previous post's advice does not fix it. Don't play around with it too long because I had a similar problem and the more I tried to boot it the more corrupted it got and by the time I got it to the apple store they could not help to restore any of the data. Best of luck

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

This is true of any situation where the disk is being partitioned or pretty much anything being done to the disk. There can always be problems with the disk when performing these types of actions to a disk where the partition table is modified. That's why you keep a backup :eek:

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm not sure if this will be any help with your problem. But resetting the PRAM seems to solve a lot of other peoples problems. You do this by starting up and holding command+option+p+r keys at startup until you hear a second chime.

This is what's in the PRAM:
    # Status of AppleTalk
    # Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
    # Alarm clock setting
    # Application font
    # Serial printer location
    # Autokey rate
    # Autokey delay
    # Speaker volume
    # Attention (beep) sound
    # Double-click time
    # Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
    # Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
    # Startup disk
    # Menu blink count
    # Monitor depth
    # 32-bit addressing
    # Virtual memory
    # RAM disk