Boot Camp Leftovers; Partitions Table Screwed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Future Blues, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Future Blues macrumors member

So I went to install Boot Camp this weekend and ran into a problem with my XP CD. I couldn't install it to the partition I made, so I went back to OS X and told Boot Camp to give up and restore my HD to one single partition, which it did without a problem... (I'm going to try again later when I get around to picking up a copy of Vista.)

However, now whenever I do a cold boot, I get the "No Bootable Device -- Insert a boot disk and press any key to continue" screen. (This is a DOS screen and thus a remnant from the failed windows install / partitioning.)

I don't have any problem accessing the HD if I hold ALT, but I'd rather not have to hold ALT every time I boot in the future just to select my primary, solitary HD.

Is there anyway to remedy this problem, or am I looking at a potential Leopard wipe/re-install? I've already run Disk First Aid and tried Repairing Permissions and the symptoms haven't changed at all.

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I don't really know about Boot Camp, but can you run the assistant again and tell it to restore your partitions (or just to repartition...)?

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Try booting into OS X.

Then, go to the Apple menu and system preferences.

Then, go to startup disks.

Then, choose your OS X partition and choose reboot.

See if that fixes it for you.

Hopefully, that will take care of it.

4. Future Blues thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I ended up going into the System Preferences just to make sure that I wasn't missing something obvious and it turned out that I just need to do this to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

Seems my other error might not be my Windows CD at fault after all. Apparently it's a common problem with a workaround, so I may try again with this CD before I give up on it. =)

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Sorry it wasn't that simple. Thought I'd mention it just in-case.

Let us know what you find.