Boot Camp + Linux Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djejrejk, Nov 25, 2007.

1. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have been playing around with Linux and VM Ware for the last few days and I am considering loading Linux Mint 4.0 (which is based on Ubuntu) using boot camp just to play with. Anyone using Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro? Does it help or hinder battery life? Also, can anyone point me to a website with some sort of how-to install linux/ubuntu on a MBP? I have come across a few sites, just wondering if someone has come across something better. Thanks

2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I installed ubuntu on boot camp and it seems to be working pretty well. (For what it's worth, I also did it once by just partitioning my main drive into two and installing ubuntu on one, it isn't really necessary to use boot camp, but it certainly is easier if you already have stuff on it.) I am kind of a linux noobie so I can't give that much advice, but some pet peeves are that I can't figure out a way to put it to sleep because it certainly doesn't sleep when the lid is closed and when I tell it to go to sleep it requires restarting it when turned back on. Also, I ran into huge problems when it told me that the display drivers were proprietary and I installed them, so I wouldn't recommend that. (The resolution was really low and I had problems trying to increase it and put it back to normal.) If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Here is how I installed it:
    1) run bootcamp and make your partition.
    2) install windows (yuck!)
    3) format your windows partition using disk utility
    4) run ubuntu and install onto blank windows partition using the manual install
    5) make a 1gb swap and the rest make into a ext3 format mounted to /
    6) enjoy linuxy goodness

Word on the street is that leopard allows you to dynamically create and resize partitions, so that could make installing linux much easier because you could just create a partition and then install linux onto it instead of messing around with the bootcamp/windows install business.

PS-Now that we are on the subject, is there a good way to have leopard and linux play nicely with each other? More specifically, can I make it so that I can access home folders on each partition to swap information back and forth? Ideally, could I even set it up so that my home folder in linux reflected my home folder from leopard, so I could in effect log into linux with my os x account? That is probably asking too much, but having some way to sync the two would seriously increase the time I'd be willing to dabble in linux.