Boot camp Mac Pro and use windows graphics card ONLY in Vista partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sdschwendener, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sdschwendener macrumors regular

I have this sapphire x1950 that I wanted to use for gaming. I was pretty certain I could set it up so that when I boot into vista I could use it just fine. With both cards in (stock nvidia 7300 and ati x1950) os x boots fine to normal resolution and what not.. but Vista boots up all ****** with a decreased to 1280 something resolution and wont properly recognize card.. something about the two cards conflicting and can only use that one resolution. I tried to install an update it told me it needed.. when I did so the screen flashed and I was dropped into 4 bit colors.. WTF. Anyway I unplugged power to my x1950 and its back to regular res and color.

Does anyone know how I can boot into vista and have it not detect or use my nvidia card but rather just use my ATI radeon?

Please help me if you want screen shots or error info I'll try and get it done.

2. sdschwendener thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried messing around a lot and I still cannot get this to work.. Has anyone done so and could instruct me how to get this to work?

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

GOSH do not mix your cards!!!! just stick to one brand. either the ati, OR the nvidia. thats all i can say.

4. HunterC macrumors newbie

the man who figures this out is gonna be rich

5. sdschwendener thread starter macrumors regular

Why will having two different cards make my computer explode or something

6. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

Try this...

Well, it seems kind of simple to do it... go to Device Manager (use the embedded Vista search), then look for Video Display and Disable (not uninstall) the one you don't want Vista to use.

That's all.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol of course not. look for drivers that could make it work.
    what are you actually trying to do? why cant u take the 7300 out, because unless youve got 4 monitors or something i dont see the benefits.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The ops x1900 isn't for Apple's so OS X will not use it. Though I do wonder, since people build their own Macs on the OSX86 Project and standard PC cards work with right kexts. Could you use those kexts in a legit Mac Pro and use any PC Video card?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea thats true. osx can only read the cards that are made for it, unless you write your own drivers i doubt you will get another card to work on it.

via bootcamp however, you can run any gpu you like. because the drivers are already written / can be downloaded from the site and all work for xp/vista. so yea :)

10. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

So if I have a GeForce 8800 XTX (PC version) and I've installed Vista in the Boot Camp partition, do I understand that when I make Vista the default startup disk, shutdown, remove the Mac card, install the GeForce 8800 XTX, and power up, will it boot fine?

I'm asking before I tear open the shrink wrap on the card.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from what i have read and heard, the answer is yes. aslong as u have drivers it will all be sweet