Boot Camp no longer showing as a bootable option

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MoodyM, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

For months, my internal 1TB had been partitioned 750GB/250GB OS X 10.6/Windows 7, with no problems - I want to use Windows, I either reboot and hold Alt, then choose Windows when the menu comes up, or I go System Preferences > Startup Disk and change it to "Boot Camp".

A few days ago I shrank the 10.6 partition by 200GB using Disk Utility, then formatted the space as Mac OS Extended and installed the preview of OS X 10.7 Lion (I was invited to try it via the AppleSeed programme).

Since then, the only options I have in System Prefs > Startup Disk or when holding Alt during boot are 10.6 and 10.7 - Boot Camp seems to have vanished as a choice. If I open Disk Utility, Boot Camp is still there, still 250GB. If I browse the Boot Camp partition in OS X I can see all my Windows files, etc, it just seems to be gone as a bootable option

Help!

2. nathanielonfire macrumors member

Can you actually mount the Boot Camp volume in OS X and browse it with Finder or just through Disk Utility?

I'm wondering if you can use Winclone to make an image of your Boot Camp partition, then delete the original and then re-set it up using Boot Camp Assistant and then restore the Winclone image to it.

Not sure if that would work, but it's worth a shot. If Winclone can't see the partition however, then you might be out of luck with this option.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Thanks, but does that mean I need Winclone? Will Winclone work on my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need the command line tool gptrefresh that is provided by Winclone, or gptsync from rEFIt or gdisk.

B