Boot Camp not suited for recent hardware?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aliensporebomb, Dec 12, 2015.

1. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Seems like I'm having serious problems getting boot camp going at all on this thing:
    -Corei7 4.0 ghz iMac 1.2 TB internal fusion drive, 24 gigs of ram, magic mouse and wireless keyboard.
    -I'm running Mac OS

Once I go through the boot camp setup and get to the point where I can click "next" to install Windows 7 I have no mouse or keyboard functionality.

So my thinking is the wireless mouse and keyboard that comes with the Mac won't work under Windows even with the drivers you download from Apple.

I tried using an external mouse just to get the thing to click next but the light on the bottom didn't light and I'm guessing that there may be something else afoot.

Ideas?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Windows 7 is not supported by Apple on the 2015 iMac. Is yours a 2015 or 2014 model, and are you making a Windows installer with the Bootcamp drivers embedded?

3. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

2014 model. Making windows installer with Bootcamp drivers embedded. I have another idea on how to potentially fix it.

4. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Update: tried Dell USB keyboard and mouse and the Mac hardware refuses to see it for some reason. Has anyone else encountered this? I can't install Windows if I can't use a keyboard or mouse on it.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The 2014 model does not support Windows 7, at least not officially. I believe pretty much everything after 2012 supports only Windows 8/8.1 and up.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

According to Apple's documentation, the 2014 does support Windows 7: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

7. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

8. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I'm seeing a number of posts indicating that the USB3 hardware in Mac OS X is the issue. In other words (quoting):

However, the drivers that install from the boot camp assistant don't appear to work or don't install or don't install correctly. Some people have found that once windows is installed they can remove the Intel USB 3.0 drive within windows and make it go.

But we have a chicken and egg issue here:

Keyboards tried:
    -Apple Wireless that came with iMac
    -Dell Wired USB
    -Apple keyboard that came with my old G5

Keyboards of every kind work fine in OS X.

Mice tried:
    -Apple Wireless
    -Dell Wired USB

I even tried a USB 2 hub connected to one of the USB3 ports hoping it would "fool" the system into thinking it was a USB2 subsystem instead. Works fine in OS X, not in Windows.

I get to the point where I can install windows but am stuck there since next can't be selected with mouse or keyboard.

9. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

8.1 is even worse. What a disaster. It brings up the windows logo after you boot from the USB and sits there forever. So once again I can't even install windows at all. What a joke. This was far easier under my 2009 iMac i7.

Has ANYONE gotten this working on a Retina iMac?

10. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Finally got it working but there's at least a year old bug where 290X owners don't get video drivers that actually work. What a disaster.