Boot Camp Not Working [MB 2.1]

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JohnChen, Oct 7, 2012.

1. JohnChen macrumors newbie

Hi I was recently gifted a lightly used MacBook from a friend, the 2.1 MB with 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, running on 10.6.8. He also added 4GB of RAM and a 320 GB HD. Since he had lots of useful software on the laptop, I opted not to have it fully wiped. Now, I want to dual boot the MB with something like XP. When I go to Boot Camp Assistant (3.1), however, it won't partition my disk, stating that some files can't be moved--strange since I still have 194 GB of free space. I've been looking for a solution, on and off, for about a month now. Is there any way to partition the disk without a full wipe? I don't have access to another HD to back up any of my files. I've run iDefrag and other system cleaning software. I've also tried to partition the drive using Disk Utility, but again to no avail. What should I do?

Alternatively, is there any other way to dual boot Windows on a Mac?

Thanks,
    John

2. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

should work

Here's a helpful video that explains how to partition your hard drive in boot camp assistant. Other than that, you could use disc utility, but if that isn't working, make sure you have the necessary free space for the partition.

3. JohnChen thread starter macrumors newbie

Partition Failed

Thanks for the response.

I looked at the video and tried partitioning the drive, but Disk Utility comes up with the message "Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed." I'm guessing that this has something to do with having to repair the disk?

4. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

if you intend light use of windows and not resource draining things, I would suggest putting a virtual machine via vm ware instead of bottcamping

have tried both

5. JohnChen thread starter macrumors newbie

Needfx,
    Thanks for the reply, but I think VMs are out of the question.

I've tried using Virtual Box but it's not really for me. They don't give the performance I need. The Macbook is not exactly top-of-the-line, and I'm trying to run LoL (League of Legends, a game) on it. I know it'll be barely playable, but that's better than not playing it at all. In addition, I read somewhere that Macs do not have great graphics performance; for instance the GMA 950 on this MB is underclocked.

So is there really no way to dual boot Windows without wiping the drive?

Thanks all.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems you need to repair the disk first, before you can partition it, it clearly indicates "verification failed"

7. JohnChen thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

Just thought I'd let you guys know: I finally BootCamp'd my Mac! I know it has been quite some time, but this Windows-on-Mac thing has been my on-again, off-again obsession. Pretty much I did what people on the forums told me to do. Thanks!