Boot Camp - Novice Qs

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by N33t, Oct 24, 2013.

1. N33t macrumors member

I have decided to install Windows on my iMac via Boot Camp. I intend to use this Apple guide. I am, however, a bit of a muppet when it comes to this sort of thing so I wanted to ask a few questions before I give it a go.

Background Info - iMac Spec etc.

Late 2012 iMac
    3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB RAM
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

I also have an external CD/DVD drive.

I intend to upgrade to Mavericks prior to installation.

Questions

• What version of Windows should I get? It seems some ppl have been having difficulty with Windows 8 - should I go with a 64-bit version of Windows 7?
    • How big should I make the partition? 100gb? I will be using Windows primarily for running games e.g. Skyrim, GTAV (when it comes out), etc.
    • Do people have any other tips / hints / warnings before I jump in?
    Thanks.

2. N33t, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

N33t thread starter macrumors member

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

There are reports of the Windows 8.1 update breaking mouse acceleration with certain games, so I would probably stick with 7 for the time being. Further, I would not trust any place that sells only product keys. There's always a chance your installation could get blacklisted, and you'd have to buy a regular license anyway.

Further, if all you're doing is playing games, Windows 7 Home Premium will suffice. Buy the system builder/OEM version, as it should still be available for less than US$100. You can use your external DVD drive to install it.

As far as partition size, it all depends on how many games you plan to have installed at once. 100 GB is not all that much. Bioshock Infinite is 17 GB by itself, and if you play Skyrim with mods, the sky is the limit (no pun intended). I would recommend at least 250 GB if you're going to be playing games even somewhat regularly.

4. N33t, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Thanks, saturnotaku - that's very helpful.

So I am clear, is this the Windows product you have in mind?

Edit - I think the product linked above does not actually include a DVD. Not entirely clear to me from the product description. Perhaps this is more what you have in mind. Is it a problem that it is only 32-bit? Would 64-bit be better?

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

6. N33t, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Thanks - appreciate the advice. I guess that product must come with a DVD even though it is not immediately apparent to me from the title (I see a DVD ROM is a system requirement).

Based on what you said above I am planning a 300gb partition - do not want to have to try to extend it in the future!

One separate Q: I see a lot of ppl are stuggling with Mavericks-related issues. Is it still sensible to do the update prior to intalling Boot Camp or should I just give it a miss for the time being?

Also, a final request for any other tips / hints / warnings before I jump in (I am not sure why but I am convinced it is going to go badly wrong!)...

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It is a DVD. MS has never sold Windows 7 on a thumb drive.

I would hold off on a Mavericks upgrade until Apple releases 10.9.1. I jumped right in and the transition has been less than smooth.

Only thing I would do is download the Windows support software before running Boot Camp Assistant. While the program has the option to download the drivers, it's slow and unreliable. Get the package from here and copy the ZIP file to a thumb drive before you get started. Other than that, BCA and the Windows installer should take care of everything for you.