Boot Camp Now Supports Vista SP1 64-BIT on Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaco6, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Just thought i would give you an update on the whole boot camp 64-bit driver saga that some of you have had to go through in order to get 64-bit vista working on your machines. I recently had my Macbook Pro replaced from a 2.2ghz to and brand new penryn 2.4ghz and was pleased to discover that my newly bought Vista SP1 64-BIT OS was 100% compatable with all the drivers on the Macbook System disk one! There is no propblem with the computer identifying when it is charging or not, the graphics drivers work, sound, bluetooth, camera, everything works!!!

Apple has secretly brought in support for 64-bit Vista on the Macbook Pro!

Anyway i hope this helps awnser a few of your questions about the so called driver problems that people have been experiencing with past revisons of bootcamp if you are considaring getting a Macbook Pro!

2. kwfl macrumors 6502

this is good

however, i ditched vista long ago.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why would anyone wanna downgrade from MacOSX with Vista?
    When XP is more flexible and more compatible?

:confused:

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

some people want to play pc games

5. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

i believe he was referring to switching between Vista and XP (you can still play games on XP obviously), not switching from OSX to Vista

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I like Vista's look, but not it's performance in 32-bit mode. However, I am told it works better in 64-bit so this is actually good news for me. I know it would be better if it could address more then 4GB of RAM, but that is what the Mac Pro is for. :)

7. bimmerboii macrumors member

if i install vista via boot camp, what else would i need to install? graphics drivers? what else?

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Because Vista is a perfectly fine OS. I guess it's the same reason why some people want to stick with Tiger where everything is more flexible and more compatible than using Leopard. If you don't like Vista, don't buy it. I know this is an Apple forum, but don't you think trolling is a little childish?:rolleyes:

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I saw several tests that showed 64 bit Vista was 0-10% faster than 32 bit Vista. Minimal speed difference and more compatibility problems discouraged me from going 64. I don't know if that changes with SP1. Additional RAM is a good thing though.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You need to burn a Windows Driver CD from Boot Camp Assistant. Then after you install Windows (be it Vista or XP), run the setup routine from the driver CD and it will install all the necessary drivers for your Mac's hardware.

Aye, I expect the real benefit is on the Mac Pro with more then 4GB, but every little bit helps with Vista. :)

11. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

if you own a new ish Macbook Pro (Leopard, Penryn as thats all i have tested) then the drivers will be on Macbook Pro recovery disk 1!! If not you can burn them from the boot camp assistant as stated above!

Ps i don't know if it was vista with sp1 that made this all possible or a bootcamp update!

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

IMO, I'm just staying XP is a better OS.
    Vista asks to may questions when it come to doing anything.... it's a little annoying.

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If you are referring to the "User Account Control"...feature...you can disable it under the Users control panel applet.

14. kwfl macrumors 6502

you dont need that (and you cant), the drivers are already in the leopard restore discs.

15. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

there is numerous reasons to have vista
    1) play pc games with full direct x 10 support (xp gives us dirext x 9.0c)
    2) 64 bit so u get all 4 gigs recognized
    3) vista so u have the most recent operating system, who needs crappy old xp. Xp is reserved for my eee pc which needs that kinda crap.

16. acarle208 macrumors member

Who cares!!:D

17. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Which is easily turned off.

Actually, MS made it annoying to users to change their habits as well as to deter software companies from making programs that require admin permissions to run.

18. kwfl macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to hack xp once you forget your logON password?! ;)

19. TSE macrumors 68030

So which Version of Home Premium should I get for my MBP over Boot Camp? 64-bit or 32-bit?

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

xp 32 bit is the best of the bunch for gaming..true..but vista 64 is better than xp 64 in almost every area

21. billylampley macrumors newbie

Vista 64 runs a lot more smooth. Crossover Gaming works well too! : )

22. Nadasive macrumors 6502

I don't know about you guys but i think windows sux.
    but i only have xp for games, if your getting windows on your mac for windows based apps just get vmware fusion or parallels desktop).

23. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

new to mac; 17" hi-res mbp...

for college (adult student), I need to run AutoCad 2008 (no 3D or rendering); which version of Windowz should I get and where to get it for cheap $$$? Can I run AutoCad through VM Ware Fusion as well as Bootcamp? Anything else I should be aware of?

Sorry if this is a hijack, but felt it was relevant enough to post here. :cool:

PS - I love this mbp and glad as hell I made the change. Dunno what took me so long.

24. kingfish78 macrumors newbie

25. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

[/QUOTE]The same answer applies to both... If you're running a MacBook Pro, I would highly recommend the 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium for your BootCamp Partition. The 64-bit version seems a little more stable, runs nearly all 32-bit apps and addresses more RAM. For folks doing CAD work (whether 3D or not, the additional RAM will be a major benefit. Also, AutoCAD 2009 features native support for 64-bit Vista.

The drivers for installing 64-bit Vista are included on the MacOS install disc for early-2008 and later MacBook Pros.

As an architect, I can assure you of the stability of AutoCAD on 64-bit Vista running on a MBP 17" 2.6 C2D.[/QUOTE]

My 17" hi-res MBP is a Penryn 2.5 C2D w/4GB Ram, 200GB HD, 1TB Time Capsule. On my 4yr old Dell Inspiron 9100 (which I'm getting rid of but unfortunately Windowz must follow me to run AutoCad 2008) I used XP Pro and automatically assumed I would use the same on my new Mac. Nearly all the people I know and have read about, do not like Vista for one reason or another and stay away from it or revert back to XP....so now I'm a bit more confused/undecided. If it wasn't for the absolute necessity, I would not mess with this windowz install.

Also, I've read too many threads on here about the windowz install screwing up there Mac and requiring a complete reinstall of OSX. Is there a certain procedure that should be followed to prevent this? I'm in the middle of final exams and that is the LAST thing I need.....hence the delay in me replying to your reply (which is appreciated).

I see you're an Architect....I'm working on a Masters in Landscape Architecture.

Thanks for your input and anyone else that takes the time to respond.

newegg has Vista 64 bit for $89 after $20 rebate....is that the correct package?