Boot camp on Bay 4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eric2, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Eric2 macrumors member

Hi, Looking for advice on the best way to install Boot Camp onto Bay 4 of my Mac Pro. Bay 1 has a SSD containing OSX and my applications. Bay 2 & 3 are in use. I have just purchased a new Hard drive that I want to dedicate to Windows 7, I plan to use this in the remaining bay.

Looking at the Boot Camp instructions is mentions removing any Hard Drives in lower numbered bays when installing Boot Camp. Do I need to put the new HD in Bay 1 and move the OSX HD to Bay 4? If so can I then swap them back? I would like OSX to stay in Bay 1 and Windows in 4.

Thanks.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows on bootcamp is limited to 4 partitions (each drive counts as partition), but 1 of 4 is used for hidden bootcamp files, so you need to follow the instructions.

When you have more partitions than windows bootcamp can access, you just won't be able to access the partition. I believe windows drive needs to not be the last bay in this case.

3. Eric2 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Consultant,

Thanks for the reply. Although I’m more confused then before! None of the Hard Drives are partitioned? Never used a PC/Windows before only Macs, so please excuse me if I’m a little lost here.

Just found another thread and it seems that although OSX is happy for the Hard Drives to be moved around within the bays, Windows is best left alone.

As I need OSX to install bootcamp what is the best way forward.

- Should I take out the Hard Disks from Bay 1 to 3.
    - Insert the new Hard Drive in Bay 4. Start up Windows from the CD/DVD. Install Windows on the new HD.
    - Put back the other Hard Disks, then install Bootcamp? Is it possible to install boot camp last?

Or should I leave the other Hard Disks alone, ignoring Apples instructions regarding lower numbered bays. Insert the new HD into Bay 4, Format the new HD? Then follow the Boot Camp instructions?

4. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

I installed Wind0ze to an HDD in bay 2 without issue.

EZ instructions:
    1. Swap another one of your HDs to bay 4 and put the one you would like for Wind0ze in bay 1, 2 or 3.
    2. Run the utility Boot Camp Assistant from inside Mac OSX
    3. Format the whole disk you intend to use as a Wind0ze partition.
    4. Insert DVD and restart
    5. Install Wind0ze
    6. Put your Snow Leopard DVD in and let it run Boot Camp. There are a bunch of updates so it might take awhile.
    7. Enjoy!

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That's pretty close to what I did, except I had two drives.

Drive 1 OSX (removed)
    Drive 2 Blank - installed Windows 7 from the DVD

Installed Boot Camp drivers.

Rebooted and ensured Windows was working normally.

Reinserted Drive 1 (OSX).

Now I can boot from either drive/OS.

6. Eric2 thread starter macrumors member

Ok going with the EZ instructions.

I have moved OSX to bay 3, the other 2 HD I have taken out for the time being. New HD is now is Bay 2. After installation I will move OSX back to Bay 1 and insert the other 2 HD to Bay 3&4.

Boot Camp won’t let me format the brand new HD. I can format the new HD with Disk Utility but which format should I use before running boot camp?

Many thanks.

7. Eric2 thread starter macrumors member

Not having any success here. When using the EZ instructions above I have no option to select “Disk partition BOOTCAMP”.

So I tried the method recommended by ActionableMango. Unfortunately it’s still not happening. The Windows disk starts installing fine until it reboots. After the reboot I just get a black screen with a flashing white curser on the top right of the screen?

Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated.

8. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Windows 7 64bit won't work on a 2006 Mac Pro without a custom DVD.

What do you mean the Boot Camp Assistant wouldn't let you make a Windows partition?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It installed easily enough for me – I just burned a DVD from the image that Microsoft provided for download when I bought it through their student program.

10. Eric2 thread starter macrumors member

Finally got it up and running.

Seems the black screen with flashing curser has happened to quite a few people. I reset the PRAM and formatted the HD to FAT32 before running boot camp. One or both these changes seemed to help. :)