Boot Camp on Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scorptec1, Oct 14, 2012.

1. scorptec1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Has anyone used boot camp on their retina macbook pro?
    Should it slow down the mac at all and affect the hardware and battery life?

2. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Short answer: Which operating system you are running -- whether OS X or Windows/Bootcamp isn't going to affect the hardware.

The number of hours you can get per battery charge is less under Windows because Apple only makes the discrete graphics card available. But this doesn't hurt the battery any more than using a charge cycle under OS X.

If you want to run Windows on your rMPB, go for it. I actually use Parallels to run Windows Virtually as I don't game and only need Windows occasionally. So that's an option as well. Both bootcamp and programs like Parallels or VMware make it easy to install Windows.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, it works absolutely fine. Slow down the Mac? No, when you're running Bootcamp you're only running Windows, and it runs very quickly indeed. You will get rubbish battery life because it doesn't support the integrated graphics (yet). It's possible this might change in the future. It can't "affect the hardware", you're just running programs on your computer... unless you count increasing the temperature and the theoretical possibility that the longevity of the computer might be affected by this (not something I would think you could easily prove).

But I agree with poster 2, if you don't need ultimate gaming speed then run Windows virtually, using Parallels or VMWare or VirtualBox (which is free). This works fine, and you have them both simultaneously.