Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jschmidt1094

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Hello,
I am currently trying to get windows 7 on my 13'' MacBook pro. Whenever I run boot camp and I attempt to download the windows support drivers it simply says that they cannot be found.

Is the download only avaiable for lion users? So I can't download because I use snow leapord? Thanks.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I'm unable to download the software on my Snow Leopard machine also. I not sure why that is. I just downloaded the 4.x drivers from my friend's Lion machine and used those instead :)

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
If you install Windows then boot to it, the Bootcamp 3 drivers should be included on a Snow Leopard disc.

I'm not sure if this holds true for grey restore discs however, but it is the case for retail discs.

jschmidt1094

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
I can't really get ahold of anyone with OSX Lion to download and I don't have the discs.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy OSX lion on the app store and just bootcamp from there.

Thanks for all the help.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Legality aside, there are torrents available which allow you to download the bootcamp drivers. As you own Snow Leopard, play it safe and download version 3 drivers (version 4 are Lion as you probably know).

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Legality aside, there are torrents available which allow you to download the bootcamp drivers. As you own Snow Leopard, play it safe and download version 3 drivers (version 4 are Lion as you probably know).

Legality aside, you're on a total crapshoot torrenting what you need, as you have no clue if what you're downloading is the real thing or cleverly crafted malware that could simply be sending all your info to Belarus while you're computing along.

While I'll roll my eyes at torrenting stuff, doing it for an OS is epic stupid. Sure, install that stuff at a system level with your admin password. :D

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
run the entire bootcamp assistant, install windows, then put in your snow leopard cd in windows.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
When I click on that link, the only downloads I see are updates - there isn't the actual base install for bootcamp, which the updates require.

Is there no one local to you with a snow leopard disc? If you're really struggling, I could take the drivers off my SL disc and upload them somewhere.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
When I click on that link, the only downloads I see are updates - there isn't the actual base install for bootcamp, which the updates require.

Is there no one local to you with a snow leopard disc? If you're really struggling, I could take the drivers off my SL disc and upload them somewhere.

What do you mean by base install? Boot Camp Assistant? That should already be installed with OS X. I think it's been a bundled app since Leopard.

This thread is really weird. OP... I think it would be best to buy a Snow Leopard disc and install the drivers that way. It would be a lot easier and you should have one anyway.

By the way, how does one install the drivers if you have Lion? Do you download them from that site or can you burn a disc of drivers from Boot Camp Assistant? I remember back in Leopard that's how you got the drivers... I think?

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
The bootcamp drivers for Windows is a collection of drivers, plus a bootcamp application (for windows, allows to change boot OS, brightness etc). The updates available on Apples website update Bootcamp 3.0 to 3.1, 3.2 etc. As far as I know, you still need the 3.0 package to start at as that contains all the drivers. The updates just contain the updated stuff, so a few newer drivers and the BC app itself.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
IMO the best way to install the drivers is to get OS X Lion and download the drivers by using the Bootcamp assistant and then copying those drivers to some other device that can be read from Windows without any additional drivers. Such devices are usb sticks, external hard drives or for example android mobile phones that support usb storage mode. The device should be formated with either fat32, exfat or ntfs filesystem in order to read it in Windows. You can of course also burn those drivers to 700mb cd-r(w).

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use Snow Leopard disc to install the bootcamp 3.0 drivers since they are very very very old and do not support the newer hardware. Remember, when Windows 7 officially came out, Snow Leopard was already released, so the drivers weren't officially even Windows 7 compatible. While Windows 7 was fine with Vista drivers too, there were some compatibility issues and some people were unable to run Windows in 64bit mode.

I remember having some strange issues with my bootcamp 3.0 drivers when I first time installed Windows 7 on my 2009 13" macbook pro. These were mostly related to WiFi and while the drivers did improve later on with the updates, but they were never as good as the 4.0 drivers are out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.