Boot Camp on the Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackmgg, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I'm curious how Apple will handle this. I guess they could have the default resolution just 1440x900, or everything could be really tiny. I'd love the option to switch between those though, because there are some times the extra real estate would be nice.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Windows has a UI scaling option in the display settings. You could set the screen resolution to 2880x1800 and then set the DPI scaling option to suit your preference.

3. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Windows Vista and before DPI scaling is nearly useless. Windows 7, is okay, with quite a few exceptions (nearly all non Microsoft applications are given to having issues).

.... but, I am curious about this, too.

4. Ryanm777 macrumors newbie

AHCI? Switchable graphics?

How Windows will handle the resolution will definitely be interesting, but I'm curious if Apple is going to continue to cripple the Windows experience with terrible driver support. Currently, switchable graphics don't work in Boot Camp at all, leading to sub-par battery life in Windows 7 as compared to OSX. Apple has also disabled AHCI for Boot Camp, so Windows users get less performance out of SSDs, etc. Also, without TRIM support, drives don't last as long either.

It seems like fully supporting customers who want to use other OS's is in Apple's best interest. It opens up a whole market of people who really like Apple's hardware but who, for whatever reason, need or want to use it with another OS.

5. mackmgg thread starter macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Has anyone tried it with Windows 8? I'll try it when mine comes, but I was thinking about installing Windows 7 on it. But if there's a big difference in the DPI scaling, I'll go with the Windows 8 Preview instead.

6. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Windows 8 has HiDPI modes built in, mainly designed for tablets.