Boot Camp on Windows NTFS vs. FAT

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chocolate632, Nov 27, 2007.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    I have leopard and i want to install windows using boot camp to play game.
    I tried NTFS and now FAT and i cant drag a file that is 6Gb over. When i used NTFS and used winace to extract the file, it said it wouldnt work with files over 4 and when using both formats, i dragged the file (over 6GB) to the windows partition and i got Error 0. Is there any way that i could have a 6GB file on my windows partition?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

You are limited to using NTFS for files over 4Gb.

Try an updated version of WinACE, or use another archiving tool to extract the file, such as WinRAR or Powerarchiver (which also support the ACE format).

3. dtdrpepper macrumors newbie

NTFS formatting with Mediafour MacDrive installed in Windows (allows HFS read/write from Windows) and Paragon NTFS for OS X (allows NTFS read/write from OS X) is the total solution.

IMO NTFS for OS X isn't quite 100% yet (see the beta thread in this forum).

You can get by just fine with MacDrive alone, doing your operations from Windows.

4. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what i do is format my windows partition to NTFS and use all the software mentioned in the post above, and ill be able to have a 6GB file on my windows partition?

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

all you need is your partition formatted ntfs and you can have files over 4gb

6. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

it gives me choices between fat and NTFS but before it tells you to choose fat32<bootcamp>. What is this for?

7. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

kk so i repartitioned the windows partition to NTFS and i have the hard drive icon on my desktop. I cant rename it and i dont know if i should move it. Can i move it?

It allows me to eject it, what will happen if i do this?

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if you want to rename it you need to do it from within windows... if you eject it you are just simply unmounting it and it will come back if you restart your comp or remount it from disk utility... if you want to change the icon that's another story and you can find my post somewhere in the forums with directions on that

9. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

1)Where do you go in windows to rename it?
    2)so if i dont want it on my desktop, i can eject it and boot into windows just fine?:apple:

10. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

in windows open my computer... right click on C: select properties and type name in designated space under general tab... everything will be fine if you eject the drive from your desktop in mac os x... just remember it will be back after you reboot into mac os x and you will have to eject it again if you dont want it on your desktop... i think there is a way around that though

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Boot Camp creates a FAT32 partition and names it "bootcamp". This is the one you select first. The Windows installer then gives you the option to format it as FAT32 or NTFS.

12. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. toiletooth macrumors newbie

toiletooth

hearts.

i freaking love this forum.
    seems like every question i ever have lately gets answered here quickly.
    I was wondering about fat vs ntfs as well....
    I've taken Computer Science classes for a bit and I remember that NTFS not only handles larger files (4 GB+) but also longer filenames and more advanced subdirectories. My guess is that this is kind of an important thing considering we're using current filesystems and applications.
    My way of copying things over so far is by using an external FAT32 formatted disc, strictly for transfers. But thanks dtdrpepper for the suggestion to use MacDrive.
    Everyone here should feel very fortunate to have such an outlet such as this forum to develop our dating skills and real world social skills......wait! :eek:
    jk.

14. PipeDream macrumors newbie

Wat do you mean by consider getting a VM?:confused:

15. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

he's talking about running windows as a virtual machine with either vmware fusion or parallels