Boot Camp or Parallel/VMare for Gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Jun 12, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm running into budget constraints and building a a dedicated PC for my racing sim fix is no longer viable. I don't intend on upgrading my 2600XT but I do want to run four (4) drive stripe if I'm going to run Parallel or VMare with my Windows XP needs. Would it be more advantages to run three (3) drive stripe for OSX and leave one spare drive for Boot Camp and XP? I'm not sure how peripherals will play with OSX under emulation environment.

Games I'm interested in running are rFactor/Race07/ [insert future race sims].

Thanks for any advice forthcoming.

2. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

If you want to play games, go through bootcamp. Every Windows app behaves then like it should. if you use vmware you will have trouble with every game needing some bit of 3D support. And last but not least, the hd2600xt can perform decently in bootcamp with the catalyst drivers but you will feel every bit of performance loss due to suboptimal drivers and emulation...

But for "normal" applications (everything except 3D and games) vmware works very well and quite fast (with a reasonably big amount of RAM)

3. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Bootcamp.

3D support in Parallels and VMWare really is experimental and chances are your games wont work well enough to be playable.

5. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I'll pick door 3. Go to codeweavers.com and try the free trial of Crossover Games Beta, if your racing sims work with CX you don't ned to run windows at all to play your games.