Boot Camp, OS X & OS X Server dual boot...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tedus, Aug 12, 2010.

1. tedus macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I want to play around with OS X Server as a dual boot option on my Mac.

I realise I can't resize the partition my OS is running on...but bootcamp seems to be able to do it for windows. Is it possible to use bootcamp to create a windows partition but then install OS X Server on it instead of Windows?

Or is there magic I'm not aware of?

Cheers, David.

(or cleanest safest solution)

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

The current version of MacOS X can live-resize the partition you are booted from, within some rules:

1) The (active) data on the volume has to all reside inside the space the is going to remain on the volume. If you have even a single block of data at the end of the partition then there is nothing you can do inside the Apple-provided tools (without imaging).

2) Disk Utility can only grow, shrink, create, and delete volumes. It cannot move them. Other tools can (GParted for instance).

3) The volume that you are going to grow or shrink must be HFS+ (Journaled). Disk Utility can only delete or create other types. HFS (no plus), and non-Journaled volumes are not supported.

4) As far as I know only GPT-formated volumes work. By default Intel Macs format their internal volumes with GPT, but PPC boot volumes must be APM formatted (firmware limitation).

Note that the BootCamp Utility uses the same tools as Disk Utility and only exists because it scripts out the one thing that many people want.

3. tedus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a latest rev intel iMac with stock formatted HD - File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

However in Disk Utility the resize option is greyed out, is it possible that the Bootcamp partition I have on the same disk for windows is causing unhappiness for resizing?

Cheers.