Boot camp, parralels, or new machine?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rbrian, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I have to do some complicated (for me) work with excel macros. At work I have a hateful 5.5kg (that's 13 of your American pounds) monstrosity of a Toughbook which runs, no, limps and stumbles Vista with 2gb ram. At home, I have an 11" air.

I have excel 2011 at home, 2003 at work. Macros mostly don't translate, and since my users will all have windows, it makes sense to build the macros in windows.

I can't get the hang of right-clicking, and especially dragging scroll bars with a mac trackpad in windows 8, and the screen is a little small for large spreadsheets, but it's just right for everything else, and I can cope with one small thing.

Will multi-touch be any better with windows 7? Better with parralels than bootcamp? The cost of a windows and office licence is about as much as a cheap new machine with windows and office preinstalled. Should I just buy a new one, with actual buttons on the trackpad, and a large screen?

2. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

From my personal experience, the trackpad works the same in bootcamp and parallels. The experience is not as great as if you were moving around in OSX though. It feels a bit more...laggy.

Instead of a whole new computer, I would suggest you get a new monitor, keyboard & mouse and hook your Macbook Air to it. That should solve your screen size and right clicking issues.

Personally, I don't like right clicking on the Windows side either using the trackpad.

3. rbrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I should have said, I live in a tiny flat, and mostly use my laptop on my lap. An external monitor isn't really an option, but if I had a desk it would have been.

Since a new mouse or trackpad would be required, it just seems neater and not much more expensive to get a cheap new computer. Can any recommend any that don't have an off-centre trackpad? What's that about anyway?