Boot Camp Partition Issues with Windows 7 & Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wlue, Sep 25, 2011.

1. wlue, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

wlue macrumors newbie

wlue

For background information, I'm running a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and upgraded to OSX Lion (10.7.1). I used Boot Camp while on Lion to create a Windows 7 partition.

So yesterday I decided I wanted to attempt to resize my Boot Camp partition for Windows 7, so I shrunk my Lion partition using Disk Utility under the impression that I could boot into my Windows partition and use the Computer Management control panel item to extend the volume. However, since that didn't work I (stupidly) decided to allocate the space as NTFS while on my Mac. (I was using MacFUSE and NTFS-3G). However, when that happened I noticed the day after that I couldn't boot into Windows anymore (it wouldn't show up when I held Option when booting up my computer). It would still appear in the Startup items list as "Windows", but when I tried to set it as a start up item, it would appear something along the lines of "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I didn't have a Windows install disk handy at that time so I couldn't try it.

Now here's the real problem. When trying to fix this issue through Disk Utility, I decided to erase the NTFS partition that I just created, and create it again. However, after creating it again my Windows partition (which was named 'Windows') suddenly turned into 'DISKS04', and now says it's an MS-DOS (FAT) format partion.

Here is what a 'diskutil list' looks like:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac 218.6 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data 80.2 GB disk0s4

Also, when doing a 'Verify Disk', I get this:

"Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000"

And it does not allow me to do a repair.

"Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

I've tried booting from the Windows 7 installation disk I used to install Windows, and run a 'Startup Repair', but I have had no luck. The Windows 7 Repair didn't even find my windows 7 OS, and recognize it.

Is there anything I can do to make my partition bootable through Boot Camp again? I don't really have any important data on the partition, but I would prefer to not have to re-install Windows 7, all of its updates, and all of my programs all over again.

Thanks for any assistance, and please let me know if you need more information.

2. gonzobonzo macrumors newbie

same issue with Win7 / OSX 10.7

any news how to fix this out there?

Cheers

Florian