Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I just got my first Mac computer (yay), but as I always do with new operating systems, I have already run into a few problems.

I tried to use Boot Camp to install Windows XP, and it all went through, but after the installation somehow the XP system was deleted and now I have 2 Mac OS 10 partitions.

Um, I'm sorta lost at this point. Since I just got my Macbook Pro today, I don't have any files on it except for 24 music files. I am currently reinstalling the operating system onto the Macintosh HD, but I'm not sure if that will relieve the problem.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Well, I would certainly suggest that you go to Apple's Boot Camp Support page before trying to reinstall Windows. Make sure your XP disk meets the requirements (that it be a full installation disk, that it is SP2 or SP3, etc.)-- then be sure to download (and follow) the excellent "Installation Guide" at the top of that page. Apple has made Windows installation almost bulletproof via the Boot Camp Assistant (assuming the installation guide is adhered to) so it should give you some good assistance and recommendations.

Good luck with round 2!;)

Hellius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Figured it out.

I used the disk utility to delete the partition and tried again. Unfortunately now, I just realized that I needed a Windows XP OS with service pack two. I don't have that, so now I'm stuck with service pack one (which is absolutely horrible) without internet.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I used the disk utility to delete the partition and tried again. Unfortunately now, I just realized that I needed a Windows XP OS with service pack two. I don't have that, so now I'm stuck with service pack one (which is absolutely horrible) without internet.

Actually I am surprised that the Boot Camp Assistant even allowed the install with a SP1 disk- I thought it did a check for that, but I guess they just rely on reading the requirements.

You can either "slipstream" a copy of XP with SP2 added if you have a full version of XP or just buy a System Builder XP copy from somewhere like newegg.com for about half the price of a retail boxed copy- XP SP3 Home Edition for $89 for instance at
image-3160356-10521304
this page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.