Boot Camp partition then linked to Parallels: some questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by doxavita, Jun 23, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of installing Windows 7 through Boot Camp and then link that partition to Parallels, but I have a few questions:

a. The info between Boot Camp and Parallels would be synchronized, right? (in other words, if I make changes while in Parallels then such changes will also be seen the next time I boot Win 7 into Boot Camp as well?)
    Can I still write to the Partition while in Parallels?

b. If I have Parallels set to synchronize the changes I make to the partition to the OS X folder structure, then I will see such changes in OS X? (for example, I create a folder in Windows 7 through Parallels, will that same folder show up in OS X too?)

c. Same question but with Boot Camp this time. If I make changes while in Boot Camp Windows 7, will those changes show up in OS X folder structure too? (say my documents), since the Boot Camp partition is also linked to Parallels, would that fact synchronize changes done in Boot Camp only?

d. What should I read/do to link the Boot Camp partition to Parallels?

e. While in Parallels, can I still customize the number of processors and the amount of RAM that will be allocated?

f. Should I also call Apple Care and have them guide me? (at least through the Boot Camp part)

Thanks very much!, your help will be much appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's the same information, so yes.
    Without any other third party software, information in your shared Boot Camp/Parallels partition will be available read-only under OS X when Parallels is not running. When Parallels is running, you need to share data using a "fake" network connection.
    Again, your Boot Camp partition documents folder is available read-only under /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Users/USERNAME/Dcouments
    Just the docs: e.g. http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

Sure.
    Entirely up to you. It's not that hard though.

B

3. doxavita, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info! :)

Your answers to questions b and c got me thinking. I just need the BootCamp partition to have the flexibility of gaming (shall the need arise), perhaps, I'll be using Parallels most of the time.

I asked a Mac Rep. and he told me, say I made a change while in Boot Camp Windows, he said, I would then have to run Parallels to get the synching done, (but he mentioned synching wouldn't really be the proper term) to the OS X folder structure. It's not critical to have synching done between Parallels and OS X, can't think of any important cases right now, where writing would be needed, read-only might be good enough, this wouldn't damage my OS X in any way?

EDIT: This would be for an iMac. In my MBP I already have Windows 7 installed under Parallels only. It does make changes done, "readable" in OS X, don't know if this takes place while Parallels is running or not.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are plenty of workarounds.

I use Dropbox for anything I might want to read/write from any of my machines and OSes.

You could use a sync app (e.g. ChronoSync) to copy from Windows -> Mac when you boot to OSX and Mac -> Windows when you boot Windows... (You run the risk of things getting out of sync though...)

You could install a third party piece of software like NTFS-3G to enable read/write operation on your Boot Camp partition, but I don't know if it interacts poorly with Parallels. I'm not a fan, and prefer to leave things out of the box.

B