Boot camp partition wont install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by scaleblue, Dec 16, 2011.

1. scaleblue macrumors newbie

Mac ox 1.6.8. Intel 64 bit,
    19" late 2009 macbook
    250gb hard drive
    i have done this 3 times
    i have updated my computer, i partitioned bootcamp 200 gb and 50 for mac. i inserted windows 7 ultimate sp1 64x disc when i get to the "install how" it only gives me the option to upgrade or custom.
    upgrade says log into my windows. which i dont have and custom says that that windows cannot be installed on the "partition 3 :Bootcamp"
    when i click on " view details" it says it must be in NTFS format"
    i have wiped entire Mac hard drive then reinstalled mac os X
    So i definitely don't already have windows installed
    So please help me install windows.

2. lampliter macrumors member

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

There is an "advanced" box ( or link ) on the screen where you select the bootcamp partition as where win 7 is to get installed at ... go into that option and it will allow you to force a reformat into NTFS.

Make really sure after that point that you then select the bootcamp partition for the win 7 install.

4. PC Chopath macrumors member

PC Chopath

By default Bootcamp partition the disk as FAT32 (BOOTCAMP). While Windows needs the disk as NTFS for the installation.
    The solution, I have to reformat the disk named "Bootcamp" manually via the Ubuntu LiveCD as NTFS. and attempt to install again win 7 64-bit, It works well for me. :)

5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The windows installer allows you to reformat it as ntfs ... you just have to do it via another choice or two and it does not appear as the default.

6. PC Chopath, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

PC Chopath macrumors member

PC Chopath

I got it!
    btw, what program can I use to format the disk as NTFS on Lion without having to go into the windows environment?