Boot Camp Partitioning Problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kap09, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kap09 macrumors 6502

So I'm trying to install Windows 7 and can't get the boot camp assistant to partition my drive. The drive in question is 500GB with over 200GB free space. I want a Windows partition of 35-40GB.

On first attempt I kept getting the cannot move files error when trying to partition. I read up on the error online, and most people suggested issues with parallels or needing to use idefrag. I had parallels on my machine at one point, but am not sure if there are any problem folders still hiding somewhere. Any tips on that part?

I ran idefrag overnight last night. When I booted the machine up this morning, I launched it again to verify that the disk was defraged. Boot camp still doesn't want to play.

Any advice? I'm really trying to avoid a fresh install as much as possible here.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you booted from the OSX disks and run the permissions tests?

3. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't, but I'll give it a shot now

4. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I had to reformat my MBP 17" 2.93 gHz in order to get the partitioning to work. Then it was perfect. I tried and tried and couldn't get it. Some people told me it had to do with bits of info all over might try a ultility to defrag first but chances are your going to have to reformat

5. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

getting close to accepting that, especially since i did already run idefrag to clean up the fragmentation.

6. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Yeah it's a real pain, but with .me syncing and external itunes HD (for me) reformatting is never that bad.

Chris

7. Eric M macrumors member

Tried all that too...

...ended up backing up the whole drive with CCC, formatting it and then restoring it back in - only then bootcamp did it's job :(
    Takes a lot of time I know but so far it's the only known solution (and I've spent days researching it - nothing else worked)

8. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any reason to use CCC instead of restoring from a time machine backup?

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah unfortunately from everything I've read, reformatting is the only real solution. :( The first thing I do now after installing OS X is create a Boot Camp partition to avoid this exact issue. Do you use Time Machine or have any other kind of backup?