Boot Camp Partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheBrohaan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. TheBrohaan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm trying to run windows on my iMac 27" (Mid 2010) running 10.7.3 and everytime I get to the partioning step, I choose how much I want to dedicate to windows and it will run for a few minutes and then say "Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I'm not really sure as to why this is happening, from what I've read it's because I need to defrag my comp (still fuzzy as to what that means) which I can do either with software or restoring my computer from a back up on my external hard drive. If I need to restore, how long do you think it would take (I have 463.97 GB used)?

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to get windows running asap!

Thanks

If I'm missing any key info or anything for you guys to figure out the issue, please let me know and I'll get it to you guys asap.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

When you partition your hard drive, OS X has to move files that may be in the way so that it can split your drive appropriately. You're receiving that error because there's one or more files that OS X cannot move to do the partitioning.

Before having to do any restoring of your PC, why not try booting from your OS X install disc and starting up Disk Utility from there. Repair disk permissions and then do the partitioning from Disk Utility. I've heard stories about people who had problems setting up a partition but were able to do it from Disk Utility from their OS X install disc.