Boot camp performance

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Yesterday I installed Borderlands 2 on my Windows 7 boot camp partition, played it for a bit (till I reached lvl 6) and stopped. When I tried it today on same settings (1680x1050, AAx4, High) performance was poor and game is unplayable. I have newest nVidia drivers. Do you have any idea why suddenly I got so poor performance? Please, help.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
What laptop is this?

There are a couple potential reasons for this, and all or none may apply to you:

1. (only applies if you have rmbp)You have applied the EFI update that comes with ML which throttles GPU/CPU performance more aggressively. Only you'd know if it's been updated.

Unfortunately there is no permanent fix for this, and no way to downgrade. Some forum users have reported that a SMC reset temporarily fixes the problem. It will probably come back though.

2. The game world maps that you interact with after you reached level 6 are more complex/difficult for the GPU to render.

I have borderlands 2, and I noticed that my performance dropped a little once I actually got into the game past the tutorial area, as I encountered more enemies at once and more complex areas... these were logical drops in performance though. If you're noticing that the SAME area you were playing up til level 6 is no longer playable, then it's probably the throttling to blame.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
What laptop are you playing it on? As ibebyi corectly notes, the retina MBP suffers from an SMC glitch after the recent update. I have reset it and the performance is back to normal. Borderlands 2 runs very smoothly on 1920x1200 settings, everything save AA set to max on the base retina MBP.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Sorry that I didn't mention what kind of mac I have.
I have Retina Macbook Pro so it's probably that glitch.

As ibebyi corectly notes, the retina MBP suffers from an SMC glitch after the recent update. I have reset it and the performance is back to normal.
How do you reset it?

E: Reseted SMC and now it works super good one FullHD, thanks.

Last edited:

ryanchan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Sorry that I didn't mention what kind of mac I have.
I have Retina Macbook Pro so it's probably that glitch.

How do you reset it?

does this only work until you reboot the mac? I heard it's a temporary solution

whi5tler

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012

Can you let us know how to do this as I am experiencing the same issue.

TheIceman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012

Can you let us know how to do this as I am experiencing the same issue.
Shut down your rMBP.

Press left Shift Button + CTRL + ALT + Power Button at the same time, wait a little bit. Done... Start the rMBP... if it doesn't work. Repeat it...

Best Regards
Chris