Boot camp performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tritons, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Yesterday I installed Borderlands 2 on my Windows 7 boot camp partition, played it for a bit (till I reached lvl 6) and stopped. When I tried it today on same settings (1680x1050, AAx4, High) performance was poor and game is unplayable. I have newest nVidia drivers. Do you have any idea why suddenly I got so poor performance? Please, help.

2. ibebyi, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

ibebyi macrumors member

What laptop is this?

There are a couple potential reasons for this, and all or none may apply to you:

1. (only applies if you have rmbp)You have applied the EFI update that comes with ML which throttles GPU/CPU performance more aggressively. Only you'd know if it's been updated.

Unfortunately there is no permanent fix for this, and no way to downgrade. Some forum users have reported that a SMC reset temporarily fixes the problem. It will probably come back though.

2. The game world maps that you interact with after you reached level 6 are more complex/difficult for the GPU to render.

I have borderlands 2, and I noticed that my performance dropped a little once I actually got into the game past the tutorial area, as I encountered more enemies at once and more complex areas... these were logical drops in performance though. If you're noticing that the SAME area you were playing up til level 6 is no longer playable, then it's probably the throttling to blame.

3. leman macrumors 604

What laptop are you playing it on? As ibebyi corectly notes, the retina MBP suffers from an SMC glitch after the recent update. I have reset it and the performance is back to normal. Borderlands 2 runs very smoothly on 1920x1200 settings, everything save AA set to max on the base retina MBP.

4. Tritons, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry that I didn't mention what kind of mac I have.
    I have Retina Macbook Pro so it's probably that glitch.

How do you reset it?

E: Reseted SMC and now it works super good one FullHD, thanks.

5. ryanchan macrumors newbie

does this only work until you reboot the mac? I heard it's a temporary solution

6. whi5tler macrumors member

whi5tler

Can you let us know how to do this as I am experiencing the same issue.

7. TheIceman macrumors newbie

Shut down your rMBP.

Press left Shift Button + CTRL + ALT + Power Button at the same time, wait a little bit. Done... Start the rMBP... if it doesn't work. Repeat it...

Best Regards
    Chris

8. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for late reply. No I have done it only once and since that time everything is super fast.