Boot camp plus Parallels together

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by willie45, Nov 3, 2007.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

I saw something about this on another thread but can't seem to find it now.

I am about to install leopard and would like to run windows XP Home via Boot Camp and also Parallels. I understand that I will need a to activate it again in parallels once I have installed it via Boot Camp. As it is an OEM version I want to get it right. How will I be able to use two activation codes on the same piece of software?

I seem to recollect another poster saying I could install in Boot Camp then parallels and then re activate in parallels by phone with Microsoft and then when I booted up in Boot Camp next time, use the same acitvation code or something like that but I'm not sure.

All help gratefully received

Willie

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If it's a previously unused version of Windows you should be fine. Activate in boot camp then re-activate in Parallels - Windows activation should in theory allow you up to 4 activations before landing you with the 'phone MC' nonsense (at least, it worked with my copy of XP Pro via Boot Camp + VMWare)

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Tersono

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to be stupid here, but do you use the same activation key each time? Also as mine is an OEM version will this make any difference?

Thanks

Willie

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

yes it will make a difference since it is an oem version... if you try to activate within your virutal machine after activating in boot camp it will tell you your hardware has changed and you need to reactivate... it will not allow you to reactivate over the internet and will ask you to activate by phone... if you answer the questions right you will be given a new number

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Webgoat. It was you who originally mentioned this to me but I can't find the thread again. Can you remind me of the procedure I should use. I understand about getting the new activation code by phone but I can't understand what I need to do after that. I remember you saying something about having to use the code to activate windows in the Virtual Machine but what I am confused about is what happens next time I boot windows in boot camp. Does it ask me for the activation code again or am I running windows once in boot camp with one code and once in the virtual machine under another code? I wasn't sure how this could work.

Also is it the case that parallels simply reads the already installed windows files thus eliminating the problem?

Thanks

Willie