Boot Camp Problem formatting NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hookemfins, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hookemfins, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Mac Mini late 2012 10.8.3.

I have gone through the entire procedure to install windows 7 pro in boot camp.
    Even tried the latest article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203909

Where it gets stuck is at the actual windows installation. I choose the boot camp partition and get the message that it can't be installed because it isn't in an NTFS format.

Doesn't boot camp format the drive to NTFS when I choose the partition size?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

No ... BootCamp doesn't (can't) format NTFS.

The first Windows installation screen you see has your disk drives listed and shows the BootCamp partition ... and down at the bottom has a selection to format the drive. Be sure the correct drive/partition is selected for formatting in NTFS. After it is done, you can continue the installation of Windows.

Good luck ...

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

First, you may have to delete the partition which makes it free space. Than you choose either format or new. Can't remember at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Either way I still get setup was unable to create a partition or locate an existing system partition.

5. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I was able to make my way to the command prompt and formatted the drive. Win 7 installed and boot camp is now installing.