Boot Camp Problem I Need Help Please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Siron, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Okay I'm having some problems installing Vista on a separate HD. I have a WD 80GB hard drive in bay 2.
    The first time I ran Boot Camp assistant and asked it to prepare the disk with a Windows partition Disk Utilities it tells me:
    80GB WD ETC ETC is formatted with GUID partition table 74.5MB capacity
    Disk 1s2 is formatted for NTFS 74.3 GB
    Good!

I install the Vista 32 bit Business version CD and run Boot Camp and tell it to install Windows.
    The computer restarts and Windows files are copied and the install screen comes up and I insert the CDKey
    When the screen comes up where you tell which location to install on, I have these options:
    Disk 0 (my Mac OS)
    Disk 1 Partition 1 89.9MB
    Disk 1 Partition 2 74.3GB

I try to install on Partition 2 but get a message that says:
    "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for install".
    If I try to install on Partition 1 the error message says:
    "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS" (just like page 12 of the Bootcamp Installation and Setup Guide). However the "NEXT" button is grayed out.
    I've re-tried this about a dozen time to no avail.

Then this morning I ran Boot Camp Assistant again to prepare the disk (I didn't proceed with the Windows install). This time when I go into Disk Utility Disk 1s2 is not mounted. If I try to mount it it says to run Repair. When I do I get a message that says Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block 0000.
    Is Boot Camp somehow corrupted or am I doing something wrong here?
    Thanks
    Alan

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Maybe you can format it under OS X to be NTFS? I don't know much about this, just a suggestion.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You MUST format the desired partition using the Windows installer; the Mac Disc Utility will not suffice.

Attached Files:

4. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Has Anybody Successfully Installed Vista On A Second Drive

I did use BCA to partition is (as FAT32). In the Windows installer I formatted it to NTFS but I get the same"Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for install". Some have said once you do that reboot to the installer again and it will recognize it - doesn't on my machine!!!
    I even tried deleting the partition but nothing works - after I did that the partition shows up as GPT partition style which Windows will not recognize. The MS website says it's a known issue with Vista which doesn't like being installed on a second drive. Their workaround is to remove the primary disk but I tried that and it didn't work. XP has no problems installing on a second drive so maybe I have to get a copy and then after installation upgrade to Vista.
    Damn this is ridiculous.
    HAS ANYBODY SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED VISTA ON A SCOND DRIVE.
    If so PLEASE let me know how.
    Alan
    PS Yes I did print and read the manual and followed it to the letter.

5. jinla macrumors newbie

I just got a Mac Pro and having same issue. did you resolve?

I have a Mac Pro with 4 hard drives installed. I was going to partition one of the secondary drives to run Vista Ultimate 64. I used windows installer to reformat the partition created using BCA and after that I get the same message Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for install". I hate windows! I have to run a few programs designed only for windows however so I need this to work. I was going to start pulling drives tonight and try that route but I really don't want to give up an entire 750GB HD just for windows.

6. TurnerMan macrumors member

TurnerMan

7. NotVeryLoud macrumors newbie

I just attempted to install Windows Vista 32 on the #2 drive of my Mac Pro. I used Boot Camp assistant to create my partition. I don't recall seeing the option of choosing FAT or NTFS. ?? I could only select the partition size.

When trying to select the correct partition for Vista, I get the greyed out "NEXT" button with the "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS." Great. Fine. However, now I can't boot my MAC from OS X. If I quit the Windows Installer app, the computer restarts, and it only restarts from the Windows installer disk in my drive. The eject button doesn't work. Holding the mouse button down during restart doesn't work. How do I get out of this loop?
    I had a bad feeling about this before I started. Now I'm all regret city :-(

8. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

After you press the power button, press and hold the Alt key until you see a picture of a Harddrive and a CD, and you should be able to boot to your hard drive.... hopefully.