Boot Camp Problem on rMBP [URGENT]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Squilly, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm using boot camp assistant to install a .iso image from a USB drive onto my rMBP. I don't know what to do. When selecting a partition to install it on, I get this error:
    [​IMG]

What to do?

Even worse situation now. Since it failed, I exited and restarted. Now it's not recognizing my boot drive (being the USB) and wiped OS X. I'm stuck at this screen:
    [​IMG]

2. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

On that first screen, was there an option to partition the drive? I can only see 200mb I think? Somethings wrong with a step I think.

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yes, and it was partitioned already. Was trying to install Windows on the other partition at the time of the message. The message appears on every partition I have (two of which have enough to install it).

4. chrfr macrumors 603

You should have a partition called "BOOTCAMP". You will need to select that, and format it.

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Select the Bootcamp partition (usually Partition 4), and format it (should be in the options directly below the list).

6. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I did. That's what happened (pic)

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Then go back into the Boot Camp utility, delete the partition, and then recreate it.

8. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I can't. It's not recognizing my boot drive. Mac OS X is deleted, not recognizing the .iso image the USB is on. Hell, it's not recognizing the USB at all.

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Yeesh.

Time for a CMD + R and start fresh, me thinks... hope you did a Time Machine backup beforehand.

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I think that you selected OS X partition and formatted it by mistake.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Restart and hold down the Option key, and then select the Windows USB drive as the boot device. That will get you booted from the USB key again.

Or, if you prefer, instead of selecting the Windows USB drive from which to boot, select the one labeled Macintosh HD.

12. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Okay, luckily I'm back in. What do I do now? It's still partitioned and a failed install of Windows...

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Run Boot Camp assistant again and remove the Windows partition. Restart just for the sake of it and start over. Once you get to the part where you need to select the partition to install Windows (under Windows setup already), make sure you have the right partition selected, hit Advanced or More Options (can't really recall) and Format. Once that's done, carry on with the installation.

14. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Why format it? Doesn't that delete the .iso image on the partition?

15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The ISO is extracted onto the flash drive you're booting from. The partition the Boot Camp Assistant creates is a "blank" partition without a file system (I believe- I don't think the wizard bothers to format it to HFS) and you have to format it to NTFS with the Windows wizard.

Are you able to boot into OS X, though? Last I read it sounded like your main boot partition was also hosed.

16. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yes, I was able to.

17. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

This exactly. You need to format the partition Boot Camp creates or else, you'll get the not possible to install message.

18. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Okay. Think that clears up all the confusion. Just make sure that Windows Setup formats the Bootcamp partition and only the Bootcamp partition to NTFS, by selecting it and clicking Format at the bottom of that window. It should let you install from there.

19. Radiating macrumors 65816

Yep. Mac doesn't license the NTFS file system do you always have to re-partition I installation by hitting format delete then new on the bootcamp partition. I've installed bootcamp on six rMBP's and several other macs its always like this.