Boot Camp problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rsmakada, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rsmakada macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have been using various Macs for years but I'm not terribly familiar with BootCamp. I recently installed a new hard drive on my computer and had my old drive Carbon Copied over to the Mac side along with a partition for windows.

The other day while in the Mac OSX side of my computer I decided to change the name of the primary drive's name, I hated it. I also hate the "untitled" name that identifies the windows side. That's when things began to get squirrelly on my computer. Within a few minutes I noticed that my email program had stopped working and that all the emails were gone. I didn't think much of it so I restarted the computer. When the Mac partition came back up all of my applications as well as all my files were missing and it seems to have reverted to a brand new system. When I opened Thunderbird it wanted to install a new version. Then I knew something was up...

I know the partition is still on my hard drive but the computer seems unable to see it or locate it. I have been told to try Disk Warrior but before I go that next step I figured there might be a simpler solution to reidentify the old partition. Anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make sense. What do you mean by "Carbon Copied" and "the Mac side".

Carbon Copy Cloner, an application, doesn't clone or copy a Boot Camp (Windows) partition from one disk to another. So I don't know precisely what you've done, in what order, and with what tools.

If it didn't see your Macintosh HD partition, your computer would not boot Mac OS. If it doesn't see your Windows partition, your computer would not boot Windows or show its icon from within Mac OS.

I've never read of a similar problem by anyone, ever. I think important information in this sequence is missing. But regardless, hopefully you've been keeping regular backups because I think you're going to need them.