Boot Camp Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbanda, Feb 22, 2009.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I apologize to no end if this is redundant - I have searched the forums but I'm still having problems.

I have a MacBook with Leopard and I've successfully partitioned my hard drive and when I'm asked to insert the Windows XP cd, it says that it can not be located - I have legal version of it. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance,

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Did you format it properly?
    It needs to be NTFS. That was the problem I had when setting up boot camp.

3. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, I start Boot Camp, it partitions the disk and then it asks me for the Windows installation disk, at what point do I specify the NTFS option?

Thanks

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

BTW- That is a function of what version of Windows you are wanting to install. XP works just fine when you come to the formatting screen and use either FAT32 or NTFS, but Vista will only format and use NTFS.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You might want to download, print out and use the Boot Camp Installation Guide and check out the FAQs and stuff from the Apple Boot Camp Support page before you go any further.

If you just follow along in the Guide it will be pretty hard to have a problem installing Windows- and it illustrates the partition choosing/formatting step on pages 10 and 11, showing the screens that you can expect to see from both XP and Vista installations.

One question though- since you are trying to install XP, is your XP a full disk (not upgrade disk) with at least SP2 as BootCamp requires? I ask because if it is not then you will not be successful in your installation.

6. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

It is a full version so I'm pretty sure it will work. I can not get to pages 10-11 because I never get to those screens since it tells me that it can not find the disc. Any other suggestions. Again, I thank you for your help :)

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, no great answers there and can only suggest that your re-run the Boot Camp Assistant and use the option to restore your disk to a single partition, restart, and then give the whole installation another run through then. Sorry!:(

8. P90Xfit macrumors regular

it did that to me, and I just clicked "try again" or whatever and it worked?

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If it's on old copy of XP and not SP2, I think, it won't install. If you burned the iso to your own disk, try re-burning it. When I installed Win 7 I had the same problem until I burnt the disc through OSX. It at first gave me the same message, I clicked exit and try again later. Immediately went back into it and it recognized it fine.