Boot Camp Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nayan504, Jan 29, 2010.

1. nayan504 macrumors member

Hello

Recently I have tried to use Boot Camp to install windows. However in the first step, where I create the partition (where i choose the amount of space to give to windows) Boot Camp fails. It says "cannot move certain files" and thus does not partition the hard drive.

Some suggestions i saw online say to Defrag the hard drive? Is this Safe? Also what kind of defrag algorithm should I do (compact, meta data, optimize, quick (on-line) or a full defrag)?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have the space, but it is not contiguous (all together)

Some (not all) have had success with iDefrag. This will defrag but will not necessarily put all your space together.

Others have cloned their system with something like Carbon Copy Cloner, erased the HDD and cloned back. This method works.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version, and this what Boot Camp version, do you use?

Is the size (the GigaBytes) you want to allocate for Boot Camp even available on your HDD? Eg: Macintosh HD is 232GiB, used 132GiB, thus 100GiB is free and you want to use 125GiB for Boot Camp.

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: Can't partition HDD via Boot Camp - error: "cannot move certain files"

[​IMG]
    Seems MacDawg pawned me already and gave you the solution.

4. nayan504 thread starter macrumors member

I am using snow leopard...my hard drive is brand new...i just installed it a few weeks ago becaus emy old one crashed...it is a 320 gb hd (about 220 free) and I only want to give windows about 30 GB

that is why i find it confusing that my hd does not have 30 gb of free continuos space

5. winconvert7 macrumors newbie

This happens from time to time and unfortunately there isn't always a solution.

1) If you are running an application that exists in a location on the drive that you are trying to partition, it may be not allowing Boot Camp to partition correctly. Make sure you have all applications closed before trying using Boot Camp. Check your toolbar as well!

2) If that doesn't work (which it most likely won't) you may have to reinstall the OS. I have done this myself and if you are using Time Machine, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just pop in the discs that came with your computer and it will return your computer to the factory state.