Boot camp problems, eek.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafalski24, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

So I want to install win7 on my uMBP, but when ever I run the Boot Camp assistant and tell it to make a 60GB partition I get that Grey screen telling me to hold down the power button! Anyone know what is happening?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a Kernel Panic. Seems something is kaputt, so maybe try backing up your internal HDD.

Btw, what Mac and Mac OS X version do you have?

3. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

I am using the most recent Snow Leopard, with my 2.8GHz 4gb Ram 500gb HDD unibody Macbook Pro (late 2009)

I have a full back up of my machine.

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Unless you've filled your hard drive and cleared out 60 GB of space to use with Boot Camp, you should probably make an appointment with an Apple Genius or call the support line.

If you filled the hard drive and then cleared out some space, you probably don't have 60 GB of contiguous space at the end of the drive. Contiguous space is required for the partitioning. The only way to fix that is reformatting the drive. Time Machine backups are a great solution for that.

5. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a fairly new computer and I currently have ~300GB free. I assume there is 60GB somewhere on the disk... Uh Oh.