Boot camp problems (flashing underscore)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by j1mmyarts, Aug 11, 2009.

1. j1mmyarts macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I freshly installed mac osx leopard on my aluminium iMac 24"
    I updated to 10.5.8 the latest.
    I made an bootcamp disk of 80gig.
    But all the time when i try to install windows i only get a black screen with flashing underscore.
    i've tried, windows xp home english, windows xp home dutch, windows xp professional sp3
    the first to are sp2.
    And i know my windows xp home english works because i've used many times before to install windows on my mac using bootcamp. What could i be doing wrong?
    ive resetted the disk permissions (i have no idea how it's called in english)

Many Thanks.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

When the flashing underscore comes up, how long have you waited while on this screen? I know that when my windows system boots up, it shows a flashing underscore for about a few seconds and then continues booting. It may just be that the disc is taking a while to load, I know booting from the OSX install disk takes a long time so maybe that is what's happening with your xp disk. Make sure your disks are clean and there are no scratches on them that would prevent them from being read and try to install windows again.

I'm not sure if this is the problem but if you give more detail on what exactly you are doing then maybe it would be easier to point out a problem.

3. anders.v.lund macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my iMac. I've waited for 1 hour and tried 4 cd's. All are original Windows XP CD's without any damage. The superdrive works perfectly when booting a scratched snow leopard DVD. This sucks.....

4. stokd macrumors newbie

Exact same problem here...using mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro, I can't even hit F8 to get into the boot menu.